Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple for loop question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple for loop question Post 302217829 by Ikon on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 03:42:14 PM
Old 07-23-2008
This should get you started:

Code:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5
do
echo "Welcome $i times"
done

your code is basically:
Code:
for i in 3
do
echo "Welcome $i times"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script loop question

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, hopefully this is an easy one. I want to create a loop to run a simple performance monitor like vmstat and record it to a file, but have very limited scripting skills (obviously). Starting with this... date >> /var/log/perfmon.log vmstat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattlock73
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while loop question

I have written a script that countsdown from 20 to 1 and has a sleep in between each count but I want to make it sleep for half a second but I get errors whenever I change the sleep from 1 second to half a second any ideas? I am using Sun OS 5.9 heres what I've got: X=0 while do echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brokeback
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple while loop

i have a script called file2 #!/bin/ksh i=0 while do echo $i >> result.txt i=`expr $i + 1` done echo "***********************" >> result ------------------------------------------------------------------- (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple (?) loop

I have what I believe is a simple programming question. I have a text file that looks like: mol 1 G:\stereo01.hin block text ... ... ... endmol 1 However, I would like a file that repeats this entire block of text several times over. The lines of text in the middle remain the same for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple using For loop

Hi expert, I'm using csh Code: #!/bin/csh set x = 0 set number = `awk '{array=$0} END {print array;}'` i want to use for loop to store data to $number repeatly untill x = 23 How to use c shell for loop? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincyoxy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

really simple for loop question

apologies for the basicness of this question, but within a for loop how can i "list" my values as opposed to adding them to the same line for example if i use this it works fine for n in peter paul david do echo "my name is $n" done but i wanted to list my items ( i have quite a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple loop using for

Dear experts, I am writing a bash script. At some point of the program I need to have 'for' loop. For simplicity I tried with some other simple code. The format of the loop is given below. k=51 m=55 for j in {$k..$m};do w=$(($j+2)) z=$(($j+9)) echo "$w, $z" done But my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)				 1				  GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)

geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region - Returns the time zone for some country and region code combo

SYNOPSIS
string geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region (string $country_code, [string $region_code]) DESCRIPTION
The geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) function will return the time zone corresponding to a country and region code combo. In the United States, the region code corresponds to the two-letter abbreviation of each state. In Canada, the region code corresponds to the two-letter province or territory code as attributed by Canada Post. For the rest of the world, GeoIP uses FIPS 10-4 codes to represent regions. You can check http://www.maxmind.com/app/fips10_4 for a detailed list of FIPS 10-4 codes. This function is always available if using GeoIP Library version 1.4.1 or newer. The data is taken directly from the GeoIP Library and not from any database. PARAMETERS
o $country_code - The two-letter country code (see geoip_country_code_by_name(3)) o $region_code - The two-letter (or digit) region code (see geoip_region_by_name(3)) RETURN VALUES
Returns the time zone on success, or FALSE if the country and region code combo cannot be found. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using region code for US/Canada This will print the time zone for country CA (Canada), region QC (Quebec). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('CA', 'QC'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for CA/QC is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for CA/QC is: America/Montreal Example #2 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using FIPS codes This will print the time zone for country JP (Japan), region 01 (Aichi). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('JP', '01'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for JP/01 is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for JP/01 is: Asia/Tokyo PHP Documentation Group GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)