Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String concat that keeps quotes Post 302217522 by duke on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 02:03:08 AM
Old 07-23-2008
String concat that keeps quotes

Hi All,

I hope you can help. i am concatenating String variables using the following method.
Code:
command="$command$x"

i have created a script which takes a set of args passed to the script using the $*

Code:
#example script
args=$*
count=0
for x in $args 
do
    count=`expr $count + 1`
    if [ "$count" -gt "3" ] 
        then
            command="$command$x"
    fi
done

echo $command

this seems to work if i write
Code:
example this is a test to see if it works

it should output
test to see if it works

Now i am finally coming to my question
if i write

Code:
example this is a test to "see if" it works

it still prints out
test to see if it works
it always seems to remove the quotes from the string. how can i keep the quotation in the output

Many thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

concat string

hey, I want to concat whole bunch of strings together but somehow they don't turn out the way I want them to a="HELLO " b="WORLD " c=$a$b I was expecting c to be "HELLO WORLD " but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. Programming

simple question on string concat

This is a simple question... char *str = NULL; int num = 0; scanf ("%d", &num); str = ??? I want str to point to the string num.txt For e.g: If user enters num = 5, str should point to "5.txt" How do I do that ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add double quotes around the string

I have a line in multiple scripts:select into table /dir1/dir2/file.dat dir1 and dir2 are the same but file.dat is different from script to script. I need to include /dir1/dir2/file.dat into double quotes in each file of my directory:select into table "/dir1/dir2/file.dat" (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfer515
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to enclose a string in quotes

I have a script which I call and pass a text string to it. This string is then is assigned to a variable in the script. I then call another script and pass that variable to the second script, but when I do, the quotes are lost and the second script gets a total of three variables 'my', 'lovely' and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iskatel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get string between quotes separate by commas

I'm a beginner with shell and tried to do this per hours and everytinhg gives different want i do. So I have a lot of file in *.csv ( a.csv, b.csv ...) in each file csv , it has some fields separeted by commas. ----- "joseph";"21","m";"groups";"j.j@gmail.com,j.j2@hotmail.com"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flaviof
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String between quotes

Hi, Need to capture a string between 1st & last quote. String can be anything like a b "c" d e Output: c a "b c" d e Output: b c a "b c" d "e" f Output: b c d e sed 's/.*"\(.*\)".*/\1/g' Above helps me to find the string between last quote. Need to find the string between 1st &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string with double quotes?

I have thousands of files in a directory. I need to find/list all files that have the below matching string - RETURNCODE: "1017" Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmgr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concat String with variable after a 'grep' and awk

Here is the structure of my file: MyFile.txt g-4.n.g.fr 10.147.243.63 g-4.n.g.fr-w1 Here is my sript: test.sh #! /bin/sh ip=10.147.243.63 worker=$(grep -e $ip $1 | awk '{ print $3; }') echo "" echo $worker echo "" echo $worker echo "" echo "$worker.v.1" echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python concat list with a string variable

Hello! #!/usr/bin/env python hn = "simsa-svr" for container in containerslist: Name = container I want to print Name along with hn i,e simsa-svr. I tried like Name = container'-'.join(hn) did not work. Needed result: lilly2232321-simsa-svr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Script(3pm)