Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete files older than certain days - Wrong !!! Post 302217281 by methyl on Tuesday 22nd of July 2008 10:37:41 AM
Old 07-22-2008
sudhamacs and franklin52 make good points.

Test with "ls" first.
Check that ARCH_DEST is not blank.
Use "-type f" to only find files.

Here's another version with some more points:
This version:
* has no limit on the number of filenames.
* does nothing if there are no files to delete (and does not error).
* works if there are spaces in the filename or directory name.
* "escapes" the "*" and the "." in the "-name" parameter to avoid false matches.

#!/bin/ksh

if [ -d "${ARCH_DEST}" ]
then
find "${ARCH_DEST}/" -name \*\.gz -type f -mtime +0 -print | while read FILENAME
do
ls -ald "${FILENAME}"
# rm "${FILENAME}"
done
else
echo "ARCH_DEST incorrect or missing: ${ARCH_DEST}"
fi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete files older than 7 days

can anyone tell me how I would write a script in ksh on AIX that will delete files in a directory older than 7 days? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete files older than 7 days?

I will like to write a script that delete all files that are older than 7 days in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can any one help me out witht the magic command or script? Thanks in advance, Odogboly98:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files and folders older than 3 days

find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type d -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile mailx -s "List of removed files and folders" myemail@domain.com < /tmp/te mpfile rm /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm {} \; find /basedirectory -type d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files older than 30 days

This is driving me crazy. How can I delete files in a specifc directory that are over 30 days old? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlphillips
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files more than 15 days older

i have to delete files which are older than 15 days or more except the ones in the directory Current and also *.sh files i have found the command for files 15 days or more older find . -type f -mtime +15 -exec ls -ltr {} \; but how to implement the logic to avoid directory Current and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Delete files older than 30 days

Hi all, I want to delete log files with extension .log which are older than 30 days. How to delete those files? Operating system -- Sun solaris 10 Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Williams (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than X days.

Hi All, I am using below code to delete files older than 2 days. In case if there are no files, I should log an error saying no files to delete. Please let me know, How I can achive this. find /path/*.xml -mtime +2 Thanks and Regards Nagaraja. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 10 Days in a directory

Hi All I want to remove the files with name like data*.csv from the directory older than 10 days. If there is no files exists to remove older than 10 days, It should not do anything. Thanks Jo (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshjohney
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete 5 days older files from sftp

As one of our requirement was to connect to remote Linux server through SFTP connection and delete some files which are older than 7 days. I used the below piece of code for that, SFTP_CONNECTION=`sftp user_id@host ... cd DESIRED_DIR; find /path/to/files* -mtime +5 -exec rm -rf {} \; bye... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
2 Replies
g-ir-compiler(1)					      General Commands Manual						  g-ir-compiler(1)

NAME
g-ir-compiler - typelib compiler. SYNOPSIS
g-ir-compiler [OPTION...] GIRFILE DESCRIPTION
g-ir-compiler converts one or more GIR files into one or more typelib. It can either emit the raw typelib blob (default behavior) or C code (--code). The output will be written to standard output unless the --output is specified. OPTIONS
---help Show help options ---code Emit C code which is suitable for including in a shared library instead of a raw typelib. ---output=FILENAME Save the resulting output in FILENAME. ---verbose Show verbose messages ---debug Show debug messages ---no-init Do not include an initialization snippet to register the typelib in the respository. This can only be used if --code is also speci- fied. ---includedir=DIRECTORY Adds a directory which will be used to find includes inside the GIR format. ---module=MODULE FIXME ---shared-library=FILENAME Specifies the shared library where the symbols in the typelib can be found. The name of the library should not contain the leading lib prefix nor the ending shared library suffix. BUGS Report bugs at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ in the glib product and introspection component. HOMEPAGE and CONTACT http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection AUTHORS
Mattias Clasen g-ir-compiler(1)