Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: windows startup password
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions windows startup password Post 302217259 by chaoses on Tuesday 22nd of July 2008 10:19:07 AM
Old 07-22-2008
windows startup password

Hi,
a friend of mine uses windows and he changed his password (using some weird non-english characters). Now when he logged into windows, it asked for the admin password and he couldn't enter those characters (you can only turn that on once you're in windows). So is there anyway to login or reset the password? If not that means he gotta format the computer and lose all the data?

thanks

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

windows startup equivalent in linux

hi all, greetings, please tell me how to start a java GUI program in the startup of the machine. since it invokes a GUI is it possiable to entry the same in /etc/rc2.d/S99userdefinedfiles. thanks in advance ., :-) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to do ssh without password from windows to AIX?

I know how to ssh without password from AIX to AIX, however, how to do it from Windows to AIX? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to Recover windows administrator password?

HI, Can anybody tell me..about recovering windows administrator password in case of Forget it. Now in Unix OS and any database,there is a fascility of recovering root/admin password.... Can window provide any such kind of fascility?....Also tell me any other normal users password recovery... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
5 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vista startup problem

I all, I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom. A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes. The same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ubertino
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

A Windows password script

I am looking for a Windows password script. What I would like it to do is the following: 1.) I right click a folder &/or file and it has the option to "attach a password" in the context menu. (created by the script.) 2.) After attaching the password to the folder &/or file, it will prompt for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbutt100
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 characters alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Optionally it can start with a "$" character. This means the encrypted password was generated using another (not DES) algorithm. For example if it starts with "$1$" it means the MD5-based algorithm was used. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)