Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to change a configuration file Post 302217209 by zaxxon on Tuesday 22nd of July 2008 07:51:29 AM
Old 07-22-2008
If you are sure it is always starting with the first character being the large 'L' and only 1 blank between "Listen" and "80" you can use this:
Code:
sed 's/^Listen 80/Listen \<Port\>/g' infile > httpd.conf.new

If you are unsure and want to get most possibilities taken into account (occurences of blanks and tabs etc.) you might use:
Code:
sed 's/^[<space>|<tab>]*Listen[<space>|<tab>]*80/Listen \<Port\>/g' infile > httpd.conf.new

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change this file with SED?

I have a file like below: I want to delete the rows which begining with "BC" "CD" and "TY" . then change every fields into one row like this at last delete the head words : USing awk to change it is not hard. I want to know how to do this work using SED ? Thank you! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejgirl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need to change printer configuration

We have several Printers that are pointing to a print server that is now defunct. I need to point these printers to the new print server. I am aware I need to change the configuration in /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/printername/configuration as well as in /etc/printers.conf. However my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugger
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change a number in a file with sed?

Hello, I have a file which contains some line as follows, 9.9 TEMP 9.9 MUCOEFF 0.0 EPSILON And I want to increase this MUCOEFF by 0.2 as 9.9 TEMP 10.1 MUCOEFF 0.0 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorenzz
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed question - change 2d to last line in file

The file is repeating blocks of text separated by a blank line. Some of the lines are unique. e.g.: This is unique line This is line 2 This is line 3 This is line 4 This is unique line This is line 2 This is line 3 This is line 4 ... The goal is to change/replace line 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a sed script to change ip addresses in a file

So I'm new to this sed command and I am trying to create a script that replaces ip addresses when I name a file but can't tweak it to work. Here is what it looks like: #!/bin/bash # file=$1 # sed -e 's/-CPUaddr 10.30.10.166/-CPUaddr 10.30.10.151/g' -i "$file" sed -e 's/-CPUaddr... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: uradunce
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution or awk, need to direct change the file

I want change the file when the line contains $(AA) but NOT contains $(BB), then change $(AA) to $(AA) $(BB) eg: $(AA) something $(AA) $(BB) something (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test': I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working: cat test |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working for me to change text in a file

UNIX gurus I need your help with the following (The server is an AIX box). I have a text file with the following information: ******************************************************** SOME LINES case :WORD1 SOME LINES :WORD2 SOME LINES :WORD3 SOME LINES esac SOME LINES... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File name change with sed

I have a bunch of text files like this: Sample_S1_L001_R1.txt Sample_S10_L001_R1.txt Sample_S11_L001_R1.txt I am using the following script to add a 0 to those files with a single digit after the S: ls *.txt | sed 's/\(.*_S\)\(_.*\)/mv & \10\2/' | sh And then the following script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using sed to change file into an awk script

Hi I want to use sed to change a text files input into an awk script. For example if the input says " chord -- english " I want to change this using sed 's/pattern 1 /pattern 2 /'g filename but I don't understand how to use part of the pattern 1 to input that into pattern 2 . Like after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: enforcer
10 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)