Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to parse a pathname in csh? Post 302216342 by same1290 on Friday 18th of July 2008 06:20:08 PM
Old 07-18-2008
How to parse a pathname in csh?

I am wondering if there's an easy way to extract individual directories from a pathname in a csh script. For example, if I have a shell variable such as
set datadirlist = /space/quimby/1

can I get 'space', 'quimby', and '1' and assign it individually to another variable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

eliminate pathname from the file name in the o/p

Hi, Im finding some files form a specific path and den writing those files to another file as: find /SYS/admin/data/xml -name '*.xml' -type f ! -newer file1 -print >>out.xml and when im doing cat out.xml im getting like dis: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim pathname of the file

I am capturing the files in a directory to an array. I have 2 arrays with list of files in two different directories. Both the directories are supposed to have the same number of files and filenames. I want to check that the same file exists in both the directories. After I capture the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Pathname problem

Hello. After looking through the forum I am trying without success to remove lines from a file each time that ligne contains a pattern. As this is running in script, I am using some variables: The command : sed '/pattern/d' source_file > corrected_source_file In the script sed ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute?

Hi! If your working directory contains a file you want to work on, or give as an argument, you don't have to give the explicit pathname, just the filename, like so: $ vi while_loop.ksh But if you want execute an executable file, you must supply the explicate pathname, like so: ./while_loop.ksh... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get the pathname in variable

Hi, I want to saperate file path and file name into two variables. for ex:- lets say file is /home/prasoon/File.txt i want FILE_PATH=/home/prasoon and FILENAME=File.txt i need your help. Cheers Prasoon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files with its pathname

Hi, I have a few csv files within the directory structure as shown below /tmp/user/Proj/V1/data/Common1/Zip1/123.csv /tmp/user/Proj/V1/data/Common2/Zip2/3453.csv /tmp/user/Proj/V1/data/Common2/Zip2/1234.csv and so on... I need to get these csv files and move to another dir... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag02
5 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)