Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupting ext3 paration
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Corrupting ext3 paration Post 302215243 by Gaurang033 on Wednesday 16th of July 2008 12:59:25 AM
Old 07-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I recommend you use ext2 and not ext3. ext3 causes more problems than any benefits.
Yup. u are right.. but it's not in my hand to change it.. I am working as a QA member and now I need to check that even thought the ext3 partition is corrupted the system should take care of it.

And I don't know how to corrupt the ext3 partition.. any idea ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else see a performance hit from ext3

I reinstalled my Linux box with RedHat 7.2 and used the ext3 journaling file system. This thing is a pig now. There isn't much running on the box, and performance is sad. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext3 filesystem

what do you think about the ext3 journal filesystem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comadreja
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ReiserFS vs ext3 vs anything else?

As i'm sure you all know, ext2 (and then ext3) is the most widely used linux fs... but some distros (SUSE & Debian) are now chosing to either use by default, or at least give the option of using ReiserFS. What is it about ReiserFS that's so great exactly? I understand that it has a limitless... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ext2 and /ext3

Hi all, I was installing linux, so i want to know the basic difference between /ext2 and /ext3 filetype.. what is the significance of using /ext2 and /ext3 pls clarify Thanks Vasikaran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP is corrupting binaries

I'm ftping some binaries from a centos box to an old DEC machine. They're being transferred in bin, but they're being corrupted somehow because when I run file filename on the centos machine, it shows that it's an executable. But after the ftp and running the same command on the DEC, the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisl
5 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with ext3 partition

I accidentally deleted one of my ext3 partitions from Windows XP. However, since I did not make new partitions over it, or format that area, I guess my data is safe. So I made a new partition with the same cylinder boundary values using fdisk (in Linux). But I cannot access my old data on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digjam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

8. SuSE

lvextend on ext3 resizing

Hi all IM very curious about one thing Im currently playing with a test server SLES x64 SP2, and I got to a serious issue which is really sorry for the word pissing me off. :mad: I created an pv, then vg and finaly some lv's which is fine. I mounted then and everything worked fine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Convert ext4 to ext3

Is there any way to conver ext4 to ext3 filesystem without formatting the partition/disk .. Had ext3 filesystem and had converted it to ext4 by issuing following command # tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sda1 # fsck -pf /dev/sda1 # blkid /dev/sda1 /dev/sda1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding mkfs ext3

Hi i am looking for some help with a question relating to the creation of the ext3 file system. "Why is it good practice not to have a file system mounted whilst you try to create it?" I have searched google but not had any luck in finding out what the actual dangers are of creating a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allan1986
1 Replies
RESIZE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RESIZE2FS(8)

NAME
resize2fs - ext2/ext3/ext4 file system resizer SYNOPSIS
resize2fs [ -fFpPM ] [ -d debug-flags ] [ -S RAID-stride ] device [ size ] DESCRIPTION
The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 and ext4.). The size parameter specifies the requested new size of the filesystem. If no units are specified, the units of the size parameter shall be the filesystem blocksize of the filesystem. Optionally, the size parameter may be suffixed by one of the following the units designators: 's', 'K', 'M', or 'G', for 512 byte sectors, kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, respectively. The size of the filesystem may never be larger than the size of the partition. If size parameter is not specified, it will default to the size of the partition. Note: when kilobytes is used above, I mean real, power-of-2 kilobytes, (i.e., 1024 bytes), which some politically correct folks insist should be the stupid-sounding ``kibibytes''. The same holds true for megabytes, also sometimes known as ``mebibytes'', or gigabytes, as the amazingly silly ``gibibytes''. Makes you want to gibber, doesn't it? The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of partitions. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you can expand the size of the underlying partition first. This can be done using fdisk(8) by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size or using lvextend(8), if you're using the logical volume manager lvm(8). When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem. After running fdisk(8), run resize2fs to resize the ext2 filesystem to use all of the space in the newly enlarged partition. If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink the size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size of the partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do not make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem! OPTIONS
-d debug-flags Turns on various resize2fs debugging features, if they have been compiled into the binary. debug-flags should be computed by adding the numbers of the desired features from the following list: 2 - Debug block relocations 4 - Debug inode relocations 8 - Debug moving the inode table 16 - Print timing information 32 - Debug minimum filesystem size (-M) calculation -f Forces resize2fs to proceed with the filesystem resize operation, overriding some safety checks which resize2fs normally enforces. -F Flush the filesystem device's buffer caches before beginning. Only really useful for doing resize2fs time trials. -M Shrink the filesystem to the minimum size. -p Prints out a percentage completion bars for each resize2fs operation during an offline resize, so that the user can keep track of what the program is doing. -P Print the minimum size of the filesystem and exit. -S RAID-stride The resize2fs program will heuristically determine the RAID stride that was specified when the filesystem was created. This option allows the user to explicitly specify a RAID stride setting to be used by resize2fs instead. KNOWN BUGS
The minimum size of the filesystem as estimated by resize2fs may be incorrect, especially for filesystems with 1k and 2k blocksizes. AUTHOR
resize2fs was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. COPYRIGHT
Resize2fs is Copyright 1998 by Theodore Ts'o and PowerQuest, Inc. All rights reserved. As of April, 2000 Resize2fs may be redistributed under the terms of the GPL. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), lvm(8), lvextend(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 RESIZE2FS(8)