Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat a file starting with ~|
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat a file starting with ~| Post 302215219 by KenJo on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 10:41:28 PM
Old 07-15-2008
cat a file starting with ~|

helo all

I have a file where lines start with ~|.
Given a sample line-> ~|21|123|1232|ABC|2135....
So when i use the command

-----cat $file | mailx -s "Rejects : $envid" $recip.dat------

When unix cats the file which holds lines starting with ~| it seems to be it takes those lines as commands and starts putting them on screen.This is upto my Assumption.But donno what happens exactly

So when the command is executed
I get the following warning messages on the screen...

/usr/bin/ksh: 21: not found.
/usr/bin/ksh: 123: not found.
/usr/bin/ksh: 1232: not found.
/usr/bin/ksh: ABC: not found.
/usr/bin/ksh: 2135: not found.

If anyone can help me out in getting these warnings move out, that would be great...Smilie

Thanks
KenJo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to cat out first 100 lines of a file into a different file?

Not sure how to do this exactly.. just want to take the first 100 lines of a file and cat it out into a second file. I know I can do a more on a file and > it into a different file, but how can I make it so only the first 100 lines get moved over? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cat file

I want to cat a file with only show the line contain '/bin/bash' but don't show the line contain 'load' (don't show if the line contain 'load' and '/bin/bash' together), how to type in the command? thk a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat file

how to cat a file by ignoring first line and last line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

for i in `cat file` do

in bash: for i in `cat file` ; do echo $i done; how will i do this in perl ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file starting from a specific time to the end of file

I have a log file which have a date and time at the start of every line. I need to search the log file starting from a specific time to the end of file. For example: Starting point: July 29 2018 21:00:00 End point : end of file My concern is what if the pattern of `July 29 2018 21:00:00`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
3 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)