Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path Post 302213959 by joeyg on Friday 11th of July 2008 02:09:32 PM
Old 07-11-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver try a different format for the sed

Code:
sed "s/99998/"$jobnum"/g;" $src"j99998a.pst" > "j"$jobnum"a.pst"

changes 99998 to my stored $jobnum
starting with my j99998a.pst file (using $src as path location)
and outputting to new name with my $jobnum as the new filename

Just follow all of the double quotes to make sure variables all line up correctly.

I actually do several of these when setting up repetitive work - copying a global use file and customizing it for my current job/task. (By habit, I use 99998 as a dummy number - I found that using 99999 could run into issues since "99999" could be a mask for outputs or other uses.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed substitution using a $variable for a line containing a word

$ cat ggg /E*Fare/testteam/public/pf3/nggfstatic/4k-pf3_3.case REGION1: /E*Fare/dist/src/nggfstaticbase/EFare/Server CODEBASE1: /dev_tools/LINUXMTP-4/EFS070718E/EFare/Server DATABASE1: nggfstatic SCRIPT: /efare1/admin/ezlcn/scripts/pf3_3_scriptlist.input PROLOGINITSIZE not yet set You... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangal-Arun
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do variable substitution in 'sed'

I have a 'sed' editor command trying to read contents of one file into another. v=t1 PX=25 sed '/for/ r /$v/ext/tsfirmfiles.${PX}' /bb/bin/px${PX}.files.2b.deleted > result I cannot come up with the syntax so 'sed' would do a variable substitution. Any idea? Thanks a for help. -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution problem

Hi, I am facing a strange problem. I have a script that used the following to search and replace text: sed 's/'"${find_var_parm}"'/'"${find_var_filter}"'/g' $ParmFile > $TempFile The values of $find_var_parm and $find_var_filter are set based on search criteria. The above seems to be working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED variable substitution

Hi Chaps... I have a log file as below:- 01 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG : 01 Oct 2009 12:14:21 DEBUG :..... . . . .05 Oct 2009 14:31:56 DEBUG :.... . . .05 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG :.... 06 Oct 2009 01:23:11 DEBUG :.... . . .06 Oct 2009 12:53:46 DEBUG :.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpraharaj84
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution in sed

Hi, I have to insert a line at a particular line number in my file. But the line number is not fixed and it will vary every time. So, I have to use a variable to get the line number I know we can use sed to insert lines at a particular line number but it does not work with variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed variable substitution

Give the code: set line = 2 set year = `sed -n '2p' file while ($line < 500) echo $line > f.txt @ line = $line + 1 end How do I utilize the variable $line in the code instead of the number 2. I'm using this in a while loop and counter. I've tried quoting it, double/single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution

Hello, I searched the forum and unable to find a solution for my particular problem. I have a text file I'm trying to insert some text using sed after finding a pattern.. File contains in one line Invoice date: xx/xx/xxxx Balance: $$$$ Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Trying to insert Invoice "Number:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallu0987
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - variable substitution

Problem with the code below is that the value of the variable is not getting substituted in the sed expression. #/bin/csh set UNIX_ID="rajibd" set X_ID="xrajibd" sed -n 's/$UNIX_ID/$X_ID/g' passwd When run , it is not giving expected output as shown below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution in a script

Hi I am trying to do the following in a script find a string and add in a block of text two lines above on the command line this works fine #/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf_subnet | /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -n -e '1h;1\!H;${;g;s/}.*#END of 10.42.33.0/#START of RANGE $dstart\:option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable expansion fails for substitution in range

I'm trying to change "F" to "G" in lines after the first one: 'FUE.SER' 5 1 1 F0501 F0401 F0502 2 1 F0301 E0501 F0201 E0502 F0302 3 1 F0503 E0503 E0301 E0201 E0302 E0504 F0504 4 1 F0402 F0202 E0202 F0101 E0203 F0203 F0403 5 1 F0505 E0505 E0303 E0204 E0304 E0506... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrl
10 Replies
lpc(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    lpc(8)

Name
       lpc - line printer control program

Syntax
       /etc/lpc [ command [ argument...  ] ]

Description
       The  program  is used by the system administrator to control the operation of the line printer system.  For each line printer with an entry
       in the file, may be used to start/stop several different functions.

Without any arguments, prompts for commands from the standard input.  If arguments are supplied, interprets the first argument as a command
       and  the  remaining  arguments as parameters to the command.  The standard input may be redirected causing to read commands from file.  The
       commands and their parameters are shown below.  Commands may be abbreviated.

? [ command... ]
       help [ command... ]

Prints a short description of each command specified in the argument list, or, if no arguments are given, a list of  the	recognized
	      commands.

abort [ all ] [ printer... ]

Terminates  an  active  spooling	daemon on the local host immediately and then disables printing (preventing new daemons from being
	      started by for the specified printers.

clean [ all ] [ printer... ]

Removes all files beginning with ``cf'', ``tf'', or ``df'' from the specified printer queue(s) on the local machine.

enable [ all ] [ printer... ]

Enables spooling on the local queue for the listed printers.  This will allow to put new jobs in the spool queue.

exit
       quit

Exits from

disablefR [ all ] [ printer... ]

Turns off the specified printer queues.  This prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the queue by

restart [ all ] [ printer... ]

Attempts to start a new printer daemon.  This is useful when some abnormal condition causes the daemon to die  unexpectedly  leaving
	      jobs in the queue.  The command will report that there is no daemon present when this condition occurs.

start [ all ] [ printer... ]

Enables  printing  and  starts  a spooling daemon for the listed printers.  This command also creates an file in the printer's spool
	      directory.  The file can be used by filters as an initialization flag.

status [ all ] [ printer... ]

Displays the status of daemons and queues on the local machine.

stop [ all ] [ printer... ]

Stops a spooling daemon after the current job completes and disables printing.

topq printer [ jobnum... ] [ user... ]

Places the jobs in the order listed at the top of the printer queue.

Diagnostics
       ?Ambiguous command
       Abbreviation matches more than on command.

?Invalid command
       No match was found.

?Privileged command
       The command can only be executed by root.

Files
       Printer description file

Spool directories

Lock file for queue control

See Also
       lpq(1), lpr(1), lprm(1), printcap(5), lpd(8)

lpc(8)