Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: slocate db
Operating Systems Linux slocate db Post 302213893 by sysgate on Friday 11th of July 2008 09:15:50 AM
Old 07-11-2008
Quote:
Secure locate provides a secure way to index and quickly search for files on your system. It uses incremental encoding just like GNU locate to compress its database to make searching faster, but it will also check file permissions and ownership so that users will not see files they do not have access to.
. The DB is the data base source - you can point from where to start, via -U and -u switches. Look at the man pages for your distro.
Basically you're saying : Here's my hard drive, crawl all over it, and store the results in data base format, with indexes, relations, etc. This makes search [locate] much faster than the traditional "find" for example. slocate is the secure version of "locate", you also might want to look at its man pages.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. HP-UX

slocate

hello, Does anyone know where i can get a version of 'slocate' for hp-ux (11i v1). I like it on linux but can find a depot for hp-ux. Dont want to compile it on a work machine... thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
6 Replies
UPDATEDB(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UPDATEDB(1)

NAME
updatedb - update the slocate database SYNOPSIS
updatedb [-u] [-U path] [-e path1,path2,...] [-f fstype1,...] [-l [01] ] [-q] [-v,--verbose] [-V, --version] [-h, --help] pattern... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents slocate, a security-enhanced version of locate. updatedb is simply a link to slocate that implies the -u option. OPTIONS
-u Create slocate database starting at the root directory. This is the default behavior when called as updatedb. -U path Create slocate database starting at path path. -e dirs Exclude directories in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -f fstypes Exclude file systems in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -l <num> Security level. -l 0 turns security checks off, which will make searches faster. -l 1 turns security checks on. This is the default. -q Quiet mode; error messages are suppressed. -v Verbose mode; display files indexed when creating database --help Print a summary of the options to slocate and exit. --version Print the version number of slocate and exit. CONFIGURATION FILE
Secure Locate's updatedb will automatically parse GNU Locate's /etc/updatedb.conf. But please be aware that Secure Locate currently does NOT support all options provided by GNU Locate's configuration file. Options currently supported by Secure Locate are PRUNEFS and PRUNEPATHS SEE ALSO
slocate(1) UPDATEDB(1)