Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating/ammending Name Column in existing .txt file Post 302213349 by Annihilannic on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 11:36:46 PM
Old 07-10-2008
Use the substr() function to pull out the first 6 characters (see the awk man page for details).

print _, __, ++i should do the second part for you. _ is a strange variable name to use!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a csv file based on Existing file

Hi I am Newbie to Unix.Appreciate Help from forum user would loada b.Csv File(Below example) in /data/m/ directory.Program need to read the b.csc to extract certain column and create a new file /data/d/ directory as csv file with new name. User File Format 1232,samshouston,12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skywayterrace
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a txt file

Hi All, I would like to know if you can set up in part of a script for the script to create a txt file and put some predetermined text into it. #Example make file example.txt #Then it would the lines below into the text file as text. Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Does anyone have any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: outthere_3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a new file based on existing file

Hello Guys , I need an another help regarding the below problem. I want to create a new file based on the existing file ,where two columns will be changed according to user input .(say column 4 and column 5) Please let me know how to proceed with Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating file from an existing file using CUT, is it the best option?

Dear All, I have a requirement in which i have to load a file placed in FTP location onto my database. The process i'll follow is as below: 1) Get the files using FTP. 2) Create the desired load files as i have to load only 19 fields out of the 104 available in the file. The fields i require... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekakaomi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a file in required format form another existing file

I have a text file with contents like this: a,b,c, d~e,f,g,h~i,j ,k,l,m~n,o,p,q~ I need to convert this file into this format unix shell script commands: a,b,c,d~ e,f,g,h~ i,j,k,l,m~ n,o,p,q~ as you may have noticed, I need to retain the ~ signs at the end. Any help is greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating the script for updating or replacing the existing http.conf file

Hi I need some help with a task, i am an absolute newbie to any form of shell scripting and request guidance. I have been building a proxy server using the apache mod proxy currently my solution is working , but i need to automate the process , suppose if any changes need to be made on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satej
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching column then append to existing File as new column

Good evening I have the below requirements, as I am not an experts in Linux/Unix and am looking for your ideas how I can do this. I have file called file1 and file2. I need to get the second column which is text1_random_alphabets and find that in file 2, if it's exists then print the 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
4 Replies
WHICHMAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WHICHMAN(1)

NAME
whichman - show the location of a man page using a fault tolerant approximate matching algorithm SYNOPSIS
whichman [-#ehIp][-t#] man-page-name DESCRIPTION
whichman is a "which" alike search command for man pages. whichman searches the MANPATH environment variable. If this variable is not defined, then it uses /usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man: /usr/local/share/man:/usr/local/man by default. Unlike "which" this program does not stop on the first match. The name should probably have been something like whereman as this is not a "which" at all. whichman shows all man-pages that match and allows you to identify the different sections to which the pages belong. whichman can handle international manpage path names for different languages. Man pages in different languages may be stored in .../man/<country_code>/man[1-9]/... By default, whichman does fault tolerant approximate string matching. With a default tolerance level of: (strlen(searchpattern) - number of wildcards)/6 + 1 OPTIONS
-h Prints a little help/usage information. -I Do case sensitive search (default is case in-sensitive) -e Use exact matching when searching for a given man-page and the wildcards * and ? are disabled. -p print the actual tolerance level in front of the man page name. -# or -t# Set the fault tolerance level to #. The fault tolerance level is a integer # in the range 0-255. It specifies the maximum number of errors permitted in finding the approximate match. A tolerance_level of zero allows exact matches only but does NOT disable the wildcards * and ?. The search key may contain the wildcards * and ? (but see -e option): '*' any arbitrary number of character '?' one character The last argument to whichman is not parsed for options as the program needs at least one man-page-name argument. This means that whichman -x will not complain about a wrong option but search for the man-page named -x. EXAMPLE
whichman print This will e.g. find the man-pages: /usr/share/man/man1/printf.1.gz /usr/share/man/man3/printf.3.gz /usr/share/man/man3/rint.3.gz BUGS
The wildcards '?' and '*' can not be escaped. These characters function always as wildcards. This is however not a big problem since there is hardly any man-page that has these characters in its name. AUTHOR
Guido Socher (guido@linuxfocus.org) SEE ALSO
ftff(1), man(1) Search utilities April 1998 WHICHMAN(1)