Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Possible to link an IPC Sempahore to a process ID? Post 302213329 by Solarius on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 08:34:25 PM
Old 07-09-2008
After the reboot the system ran ok for a couple days, but again the SEMMNI (semaphore id's) limit was reached. We will have to take this issue to the software vendor and see if they have an idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link in unix

Hi All, Can any one please explain me what is the difference between hard link and soft link in UNIX. Thanks in advance Raja Chokalingam. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJACHOKALINGAM
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Automate FTP process and autorestart on link failure

Hi Guys, i have this lil challenge; i am to implement an automated script that searches/scans a directory for files then picks and sends this files to a very remote server via an ftp link. the challenge here is that the ftp link fails due to netwrk issues maybe; i therefore need to develop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdcoms
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. Programming

C program using IPC (inter process communication)

i want to write a C chat program that communicates over IPC(inter process communication), that could be run using 2 seperate terminal windows within the same computer. so that wat u type in one terminal window , should appear on the other and vice versa... could some one please help me with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localp
2 Replies

5. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

6. Programming

IPC - pipes between parent and child process

Hi guys, I'm having some problem here, I'm studying pipes, and i want to create a shell in C and at this point a don't want to use semaphores, instead I want to use tricks. Straight to the doubt: I've a parent and a child process, and both of them has some code to execute, and the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
5 Replies

7. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (interface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# cat /var/adm//messages Apr 20 03:10:01 Prod-App1 syslogd: line 25: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved Apr 20 08:24:18 Prod-App1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
0 Replies

10. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (insterface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages Apr 22 16:43:05 Prod-App1 in.routed: interface net0 to 172.16.101.1 turned off Apr 22 16:43:33 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex Apr 22 16:43:34 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies
sem_init(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      sem_init(3C)

NAME
sem_init - initialize an unnamed semaphore SYNOPSIS
#include <semaphore.h> int sem_init(sem_t *sem, int pshared, unsigned int value); DESCRIPTION
The sem_init() function is used to initialize the unnamed semaphore referred to by sem. The value of the initialized semaphore is value. Following a successful call to sem_init(), the semaphore may be used in subsequent calls to sem_wait(3C), sem_trywait(3C), sem_post(3C), and sem_destroy(3C). This semaphore remains usable until the semaphore is destroyed. If the pshared argument has a non-zero value, then the semaphore is shared between processes; in this case, any process that can access the semaphore sem can use sem for performing sem_wait(3C), sem_trywait(3C), sem_post(3C), and sem_destroy(3C) operations. Only sem itself may be used for performing synchronization. The result of referring to copies of sem in calls to sem_wait(3C), sem_try- wait(3C), sem_post(3C), and sem_destroy(3C), is undefined. If the pshared argument is zero, then the semaphore is shared between threads of the process; any thread in this process can use sem for performing sem_wait(3C), sem_trywait(3C), sem_post(3C), and sem_destroy(3C) operations. The use of the semaphore by threads other than those created in the same process is undefined. Attempting to initialize an already initialized semaphore results in undefined behavior. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the function initializes the semaphore in sem. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The sem_init() function will fail if: EINVAL The value argument exceeds SEM_VALUE_MAX. ENOSPC A resource required to initialize the semaphore has been exhausted, or the resources have reached the limit on semaphores (SEM_NSEMS_MAX). ENOSYS The sem_init() function is not supported by the system. EPERM The process lacks the appropriate privileges to initialize the semaphore. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sem_destroy(3C), sem_post(3C), sem_wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Feb 2008 sem_init(3C)