Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: argument hysteresis?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting argument hysteresis? Post 302213178 by MarkZWEERS on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 11:34:05 AM
Old 07-09-2008
here it is, my file "arguments_try.ksh":

PHP Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# my shell arguments
NB_ARG=$#
ARGS=$@
echo 
nb arguments\: $NB_ARGS; echo
echo 
arguments\: $ARGS; echo 
commands in the terminal:
PHP Code:
st25219@mx73:ianarguments_try.ksh arg1
st25219
@mx73:ianarguments_try.ksh 
and the screen output:

nb arguments: 1
arguments: arg1
nb arguments: 1
arguments: arg1

ps: the only way for me to modify the "arg1" in the screen output is to give another argument list ...

Last edited by MarkZWEERS; 07-09-2008 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: ps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument help

if i have 2 arguments $1 and $2 how can i append them so that $2 is added to $1? It is really confusing me because it seems so simple, yet i can't get the shell script to work properly. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument parsing...

Hi all, Iam a beginer in shell scripting. i need a script that can parse the arguments and store them in variables. ex: ./myScript -v v1 -h v2 -c v3...... can someone suggest me...? tnx in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: midhun_u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array as argument

hi I've 2 bash script, in the first i define an array and I'd like to pass it as argument to the second script. For example: first_bash: k=(1 2 3 4) ....... #in the end i call the 2 script ./second_bash $k then in the second_bash: ..... echo "${1}" #this not work but i'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument

Im sorry but I'm in need of help. How would I give the user the option to include the name of an html file as an arugment for the script? but if none is provided, then the script should prompt the user for the file name. I have sed 's/<*>//g' yourfile.html | uniq >newfile.txt so far I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: clicstic
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute one argument into another?

Hello Friends, I am not able to solve something which looks silly..after spending some time around it, thought of positing it here. I want to get $2, $3... into user. but I want to control the sequence by count. I want to assign $2 user..then $3 to user..then $4 to user etc. how can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat4tech
4 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [-Rnprsu [n]] [arg]... ksh93 print [-Renprs] [-f format] [-u fd] [string...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. When no options are specified, or when an option followed by ' a - is specified, or when just - is specified, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). ksh93 By default, print writes each string operand to standard output and appends a NEWLINE character. Unless, the -r, -R, or -f option is speciifed, each character in each string operand is processed specially as follows: a Alert character.  Backspace character. c Terminate output without appending NEWLINE. The remaining string operands are ignored. E Escape character (ASCII octal 033). f FORM FEED character. NEWLINE character. Tab character. v Vertical tab character. \ Backslash character. x The 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, or 3-digit octal number x. OPTIONS
ksh The following options are supported by ksh: -n Suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -r-R Raw mode. Ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option prints all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p Cause the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s Cause the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] Specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output is placed. The default is 1. ksh93 The following options are supported by ksh93: -e Unless -f is specified, process sequences in each string operand as described above. This is the default behavior. If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -f format Write the string arguments using the format string format and do not append a NEWLINE. See printf(1) for details on how to specify format. When the -f option is specified and there are more string operands than format specifiers, the format string is reprocessed from the beginning. If there are fewer string operands than format specifiers, then outputting ends at the first unneeded for- mat specifier. -n Do not append a NEWLINE character to the output. -p Write to the current co-process instead of standard output. -r Do not process sequences in each string operand as described above. -R If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -s Write the output as an entry in the shell history file instead of standard output. -u fd Write to file descriptor number fd instead of standard output. The default value is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), printf(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 2008 print(1)