Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing French special characters Post 302213041 by BlueberryPickle on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 04:34:45 AM
Old 07-09-2008
Replacing French special characters

Hi,

I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c).

I have tried this

---

#!/bin/bash
# Convert French characters to normal characters

# Treat each of the files

exec 3<&0
exec 0<frenchCharacters.txt

while read currentFrenchCharacter
do
read currentReplacementCharacter
sed -e "s/$currentFrenchCharacter/$currentReplacementCharacter/g" $1 > $1.frenchCharactersReplaced
mv $1.frenchCharactersReplaced $1
done

# Close the file
exec 3<&0

---

where "frenchCharacters.txt" contains a list of characters, where the first is the character to find and the second is the character to replace it with.

The problem is that it doesn't make any changes to the file that I send in (stored in $1). Anyone know why? Also, anyone know of a better way to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

Problems with French Characters

I am having a problem with two OSes. One is running windows 2003 and sending XML to a second system running Unix (HP-UX 11i v1). Windows sends XML to the UNIX system fine but then the UNIX system reads the buffer file and turns the french characters into the following: é Ú É ╔ Î ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redfin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

French characters in postfix/sendmail

Hello again, How can I send emails via postfix with special characters like "à" via postfix. When I'm paste-ing the special character inside a editor (nano) it shows like this --> � ... any tips? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. AIX

French Accented characters in xml file comes as numbers

Hello all, I am using AIX 7.1 and whenever xml files with accented French characters are read, for example Name Andree where the first e has accented mark on top, AIX should it as Andrée but it comes as funny number characters for the first e. What do I need to fix this. I want to test with one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)