Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Upgrade disk in RAID 1
Operating Systems Solaris Upgrade disk in RAID 1 Post 302212809 by photon on Tuesday 8th of July 2008 11:46:37 AM
Old 07-08-2008
Upgrade boot disk in RAID 1

I need to upgrade 2 x 73 GB disk and replace with 2 x 146 GB disk in sun v240.

These disks contain boot and swap files

These are mirrored disks with RAID 1

I am trining to create the correct procedure.

So far the procedure I have is as follows:

# metastat

State: Okay

continue

# format
^C
view avialible disks

# cfgadm -al
Get the correct Ap_Id and check if configured

# metadb -i
#metadb -d -f cotodos7

check state database replicas and delete

# cfgadm -c unconfigure c1::dsk/c1t1d0
# cfgadm -al

verify device is unconfigured

# format
# ^C

confirm hard drive is no longer visible.
Safe to remove hard drive and replace with new one when
blue LED light comes on

# format
# ^C

disk is visible

# cfgadm -al
new disk is unconfigured

# format
Specify disk (enter its number): disk-number
fdisk
y or n (y is whole disk ; n create % partitions with 1. selected when prompted)\
format> label
format> yes
format> quit

IA: How to Create a Solaris fdisk Partition (System Administration Guide: Basic Administration)

# metadb -a -c 2 cotodos7
Adding two state database replicas

# cfgadm -c configure c0::dsk/c0t0d0
# cfgadm -al

confirm configured

The RAID 1 mirror should mirror the new disk and once finished repeat the procedure above
for the other disk (c0::dsk/c0t1d0) and wait for mirror to finish by checking metastat.

Last edited by photon; 07-09-2008 at 12:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating a Mirror RAID With Existing Disk

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is possible, but here is what I'd like to do.. I have an existing 160GB drive in my Redhat 9.0 server that I would like to add an additional 160GB drive to and create a mirrored RAID of the first disk to the new disk. I would like to do this without having to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk upgrade

Hi all, this s going to be my 1st time upgrading a disk.I need the ways or steps to migrate data from a 2gb disk to a 4gb disk which sits in the High Availability Disk Array Model 10.the os disk is the internal disk of the K200 system so i dont think i would be meddling around with that.what r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giriplug
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem replace disk with RAID-5 volumes

Good morning, I have a problem replacing a disk with raid-5 volumes. An hardware error was occurred from a disk c9t3 so all slices were in maintenace. Every slice is part of a raid-5 volume. Any replica is present. Following Volume manager manual for replacing a disk, I have: - phisically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Configuring RAID using single disk

Hi All, I have a SUN ENTERPRISE 3500 server with solaris 10 on it. I have already mirrored root partition.Now i need to mirror two more partitions with 25GB space. But i have only one disk having 70GB space.Total i have 7 disks but each one is of 18 GB only except one. Please find the output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubunutu 8.04.4 RAID 1 mirror replace disk

Hi, I have an Ubuntu system which I have an faulted mirror. I trying to replace the disk, but I'm stuck on that it boots and only showing GRUB GRUB ## ## End Default Options ## title Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-26-server root (hd0,0) kernel ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify failed disk in Linux RAID

Good Evening, 2 years ago, I set up an Ubuntu file-server for a friend, who is a photograph amateur. Basically, the server offers a software RAID-5 that can be accessed remotely from a MAC. Unfortunately, I didn't labeled the hard drives (i.e. which physical drive corresponds to the /dev/sdX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Hardware RAID not recognize the new disk [Sun T6320]

We have hardware RAID configured on Sun-Blade-T6320 and one of the disk got failed. Hence we replaced the failed disk. But the hot swapped disk not recognized by RAID. Kindly help on fixing this issue. We have 2 LDOM configured on this server and this server running on single disk. #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
8 Replies

8. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

9. SuSE

/proc/mdstat and cciss not available, how to know your disk is raid

Im issuing a cat /proc/mdstat, dmraid -r, and finding a cciss, to know if my server is software raid and hardware raid. But all of them are missing. What is the other way to know, your disk are raid, your disks is sync, your disk are out of sync, your disk is failed, ASIDE LOOKING AT THEM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Patching on Raid 0 Disk

Dear All , We need to do patching on one Solaris Server , where we have raid 0 configured. What is the process to patch a Server if RAID 0 (Concat/Stripe) is there. Below is the sample output. # metadb flags first blk block count a m pc luo 16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies
raidtab(5)							File Formats Manual							raidtab(5)

NAME
raidtab - configuration file for md (RAID) devices DESCRIPTION
/etc/raidtab is the default configuration file for the raid tools (raidstart and company). It defines how RAID devices are configured on a system. FORMAT
/etc/raidtab has multiple sections, one for each md device which is being configured. Each section begins with the raiddev keyword. The order of items in the file is important. Later raiddev entries can use earlier ones (which allows RAID-10, for example), and the parsing code isn't overly bright, so be sure to follow the ordering in this man page for best results. Here's a sample md configuration file: # # sample raiddev configuration file # 'old' RAID0 array created with mdtools. # raiddev /dev/md0 raid-level 0 nr-raid-disks 2 persistent-superblock 0 chunk-size 8 device /dev/hda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/hdb1 raid-disk 1 raiddev /dev/md1 raid-level 5 nr-raid-disks 3 nr-spare-disks 1 persistent-superblock 1 parity-algorithm left-symmetric device /dev/sda1 raid-disk 0 device /dev/sdb1 raid-disk 1 device /dev/sdc1 raid-disk 2 device /dev/sdd1 spare-disk 0 Here is more information on the directives which are in raid configuration files; the options are listen in this file in the same order they should appear in the actual configuration file. raiddev device This introduces the configuration section for the stated device. nr-raid-disks count Number of raid devices in the array; there should be count raid-disk entries later in the file. (current maximum limit for RAID devices -including spares- is 12 disks. This limit is already extended to 256 disks in experimental patches.) nr-spare-disks count Number of spare devices in the array; there should be count spare-disk entries later in the file. Spare disks may only be used with RAID4 and RAID5, and allow the kernel to automatically build new RAID disks as needed. It is also possible to add/remove spares run- time via raidhotadd/raidhotremove, care has to be taken that the /etc/raidtab configuration exactly follows the actual configuration of the array. (raidhotadd/raidhotremove does not change the configuration file) persistent-superblock 0/1 newly created RAID arrays should use a persistent superblock. A persistent superblock is a small disk area allocated at the end of each RAID device, this helps the kernel to safely detect RAID devices even if disks have been moved between SCSI controllers. It can be used for RAID0/LINEAR arrays too, to protect against accidental disk mixups. (the kernel will either correctly reorder disks, or will refuse to start up an array if something has happened to any member disk. Of course for the 'fail-safe' RAID variants (RAID1/RAID5) spares are activated if any disk fails.) Every member disk/partition/device has a superblock, which carries all information necessary to start up the whole array. (for autodetection to work all the 'member' RAID partitions should be marked type 0xfd via fdisk) The superblock is not visible in the final RAID array and cannot be destroyed accidentally through usage of the md device files, all RAID data content is available for filesystem use. parity-algorithm which The parity-algorithm to use with RAID5. It must be one of left-asymmetric, right-asymmetric, left-symmetric, or right-symmetric. left-symmetric is the one that offers maximum performance on typical disks with rotating platters. chunk-size size Sets the stripe size to size kilobytes. Has to be a power of 2 and has a compilation-time maximum of 4M. (MAX_CHUNK_SIZE in the ker- nel driver) typical values are anything from 4k to 128k, the best value should be determined by experimenting on a given array, alot depends on the SCSI and disk configuration. device devpath Adds the device devpath to the list of devices which comprise the raid system. Note that this command must be followed by one of raid-disk, spare-disk, or parity-disk. Also note that it's possible to recursively define RAID arrays, ie. to set up a RAID5 array of RAID5 arrays. (thus achieving two-disk failure protection, at the price of more disk space spent on RAID5 checksum blocks) raid-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array. spare-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the spare disk array. parity-disk index The most recently defined device is moved to the end of the raid array, which forces it to be used for parity. failed-disk index The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid array as a failed device. This allows you to create raid 1/4/5 devices in degraded mode - useful for installation. Don't use the smallest device in an array for this, put this after the raid-disk definitions! NOTES
The raidtools are derived from the md-tools and raidtools packages, which were originally written by Marc Zyngier, Miguel de Icaza, Gadi Oxman, Bradley Ward Allen, and Ingo Molnar. SEE ALSO
raidstart(8), raid0run(8), mkraid(8), raidstop(8) raidtab(5)