Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Handling input from a ls in a script Post 302212579 by ThobiasVakayil on Tuesday 8th of July 2008 12:03:11 AM
Old 07-08-2008
for filename in `ls`
do
# call your shell script here and pass $filename as argument
# eg:- diffScript.sh $filename
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling null input...

Ok, so when a user inputs nothing, simply pressing enter when prompted for a phone number, I get a "./addrbkfct.sh: test: argument expected" error message. I have the following function: addNumber(){ echo "Phone number: \c"; read number; echo $number; if ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrRo183
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script file handling

Hi ! /bin/sh set logdir1 "logDir/local/logname" #write the filename into a file echo $logdir1 >> logname.txt how do i exec the above echo command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

handling maximum number characters in an input file

Hi, Can anyone help me? An input file has three lines. Each line should only be 2098 as number of characters however line 2 of the input file has more than the maximum number of characters, it exceeded up to 4098. What should I do so that could handle maximum number of characters? that it could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling filespec in bash script

hi there, i just need a help handling the output of filespec in case has been picked im writing a bash script similar to the command ls, and ive done everything except handing the filespec which i spent more than 3 hrs and i coundn't figure out or find any on the net. all what i need is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling in Script

Hi All, How can we handle file operation in scripts. I have written a script that run ok otherwise however the "Cat" operation leaves a process open on the box. Command is like cat "${LASTFILENAME}" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F, '{do{if ($3 == "100" && $4 == "300" && $170 ~ /^abc/) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script Error Handling

Good Day Everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight into an expect script that I've written. Basically we have this expect script to perform an sftp upload, key authentication is not an option, and sftp is the only method supported by our vendor, thus the need for this. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaller
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input handling and formatting input to shell

i want to get input and depending on it create new commands for input to expect. But problem is that after giving date or month as 01-09 it is interpretation as 1-9 echo -n "ENTER DATE " read d1 echo -n "ENTER MONTH " read m1 echo -n "ENTER YEAR" read y1 o=1 i=1 d2=`expr $d1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me add Error Handling to my script

Hi all, I have some sections of a script that I am trying to add error handling to. Basically if it returns any error, just continue. This is for a deployment script that i am writing to assist in the deployment of scripts out to other systems. At the top of my KSH script i added this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD