Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash: evaluating $? variable (if statement) Post 302212432 by awk on Monday 7th of July 2008 02:29:16 PM
Old 07-07-2008
And this is why we want to see the code

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Parameter $1"
echo "$?"
$SCHRODINGER/utilities/reagentprep -listfull | grep $1
echo "$?"

if [ $? == 1 ]then
echo "Error"
exit
fi

the if statement is evaluating the echo Condition, not the grep as intended.

try instead

Code:
$SCHRODINGER/utilities/reagentprep -listfull | grep $1

STATUS=$?
echo "$STATUS"

if [ $STATUS == 1 ]then
echo "Error"
exit
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conditional statement in bash

I want to combine 2 conditional statements by using -o in bash, but it won't work. if ; then echo "The number needs to be between 0 and $nr" fi Each time i execute the file it says: ./selectCitaat: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `$1' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc.arne
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help :wall: I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash if statement help needed

Hi I need a script with an if statement that goes. I need it to search through all files within a directory with the extension .test if it finds the string '71502FSC1206' then do sed 's/71502FSC1206/\n&/g' > send.test If it finds the string '715MCH' or '715JAC' then I need it to move the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - OR within an IF statement

Hey guys, Currently trying to write a wee script that runs only when logged in as one of two users. The rest of the script is working fine, but no matter what user I try to run it as, it always fails! This is the puzzling part:if ]; then echo "Run script as admin " exit 1 else... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbob01
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] If statement in bash

I have the following code in bash, however "set red frmt" is not displayed. echo "iarg_rd = $iarg_rd" iarg_rd="2" if ; then echo "Hello World" fi if ; then frmt="${gap}${!frmt_titl_yl}" elif ; then frmt="${gap}${!frmt_titl_bk}" elif ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash statement equivalent

Hi all, i need a equivalent for the statement i run in bash, so it would also run in other shells. Specially i need it for ksh to run on AIX. Here the statements: exec > >(tee -a $log) exec 2> >(tee -a $log >&2) Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kosak
5 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. This may also be achieved by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that this option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. Applications aiming for maximum portability are strongly encouraged to use printf(1) to sup- press the newline character. Some shells may provide a builtin echo command which is similar or identical to this utility. Most notably, the builtin echo in sh(1) does not accept the -n option. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD