Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications [emacs] init file being ignored Post 302211486 by xjm on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 01:42:17 PM
Old 07-03-2008
[emacs] init file being ignored

Hi people,

I am hoping someone in this forum might be able to help me with an emacs issue that has me quite frustrated.
emacs 21.4.2
using bash
init file: ~/.emacs

My init file in my home directory on a dev webserver is being ignored. The file appears to be read when I start emacs--if I put non-interpretable garbage at the top of the file, emacs flashes an error with the offending line when I start it--but normally all the settings in the emacs file seem to be disregarded.

E.g., I have:
(setq default-tab-width 2)
Even with this setting, I still get monstrous 8-character tabs.

I know it is not a problem with my .emacs file itself, because I am using a copy of the exact same file on our live webserver with no problems.

I've tried everything I can think of, including explicitly specifying my username or the file when I open emacs:
emacs -u myusername
emacs --load /home/myusername/emacs
emacs --debug-init

Edit: I also checked the values of variables pertaining to the init file and they all seem to be correct:
user-login-name: "myusername"
user-real-login-name: "myusername"
user-init-file: "/home/myusername/.emacs"
init-file-user: "" (empty)

I do not have any sort of administrative access on this server, but my admin is a bit of a novice, so I want to have concrete instructions for him if I have to get him to change something.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xjm; 07-03-2008 at 04:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

What file contains boot up init details?

I want to get my telnetd to run on startup and was wondering where it was? im used to having it in /etc/init.d/rc.d but it is not the same in hp-ux :( thanks all (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init 6 & Init 0 problem

Hi Expert, I have encountered some problem with my SUN system. Everytime when i issue command #init 6 OR #init 0 it just logout and prompt for login again instead of rebooting the server when run init 6 and system shutdown when run init 0.. I can only reboot the system using reboot ... Was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

init file for emacs editor

I use emacs editor. I would like to change backup strategy. I don't know how to change some variables' values in .emacs file : make-backup-files and so on. Thank you for any advices. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

after init all /tmp file has been removed

I'm new in Solaris server After the system support reboot the Solaris server, all the files in /tmp has been removed, is that normal under Solaris or under different init level will get different result? which init level will do that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesthomas
5 Replies

5. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

Difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'

What is the difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'. I know that both will work to change the current run level to single user mode. Is there any difference in those two commands? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

What is the diffe b/w init s and init S

i did my research in finding the answer but couldn't find right one. Please give your inputs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranumala
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies
INFO(1) 							   User Commands							   INFO(1)

NAME
info - read Info documents SYNOPSIS
info [OPTION]... [MENU-ITEM...] DESCRIPTION
Read documentation in Info format. Frequently-used options: -a, --all use all matching manuals -k, --apropos=STRING look up STRING in all indices of all manuals -d, --directory=DIR add DIR to INFOPATH -f, --file=MANUAL specify Info manual to visit -h, --help display this help and exit --index-search=STRING go to node pointed by index entry STRING -n, --node=NODENAME specify nodes in first visited Info file -o, --output=FILE output selected nodes to FILE -O, --show-options, --usage go to command-line options node --subnodes recursively output menu items -v, --variable VAR=VALUE assign VALUE to Info variable VAR --version display version information and exit -w, --where, --location print physical location of Info file The first non-option argument, if present, is the menu entry to start from; it is searched for in all 'dir' files along INFOPATH. If it is not present, info merges all 'dir' files and shows the result. Any remaining arguments are treated as the names of menu items relative to the initial node visited. For a summary of key bindings, type H within Info. EXAMPLES
info show top-level dir menu info info-stnd show the manual for this Info program info emacs start at emacs node from top-level dir info emacs buffers select buffers menu entry in emacs manual info emacs -n Files start at Files node within emacs manual info '(emacs)Files' alternative way to start at Files node info --show-options emacs start at node with emacs' command line options info --subnodes -o out.txt emacs dump entire emacs manual to out.txt info -f ./foo.info show file ./foo.info, not searching dir REPORTING BUGS
Email bug reports to bug-texinfo@gnu.org, general questions and discussion to help-texinfo@gnu.org. Texinfo home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for info is provided by the texinfo-doc-nonfree package as a Texinfo manual. If this package is installed at your site, the command info info should give you access to the complete manual. (Or, if you have Emacs, M-x info will lead to the manual.) info 6.5 February 2018 INFO(1)