Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IHS 6.1 on AIX - problem with symlinks / symbolic links / softlinks Post 302211241 by zaxxon on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 02:15:54 AM
Old 07-03-2008
Ok, seems to be an issue on only one server and a particular installation. First I thought it's because of a permissions problem, but currently it's working on another AIX box... nvm, thank you though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_u_n_1234
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Problem changing owner of symbolic links?

Strangely, chown and chmod don't seem to work on symlinks. In particular, I tried this (as root): # touch foo # ln -s foo mysymlink # chown SOMEUSER mysymlink as well as changing the last line to: # chown -h someuser mysymlink where "-h" is supposed to change the UID of the actualy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noahcowan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. AIX

Copy command in Aix for Symbolic Links

I need to copy a directory from a production system to a test system on the same Aix server. However I need to ensure that the soft links are preserved as part of the copy ( therefore I guess the cp command is not the way to go ) What command can I use in Aix to achieve this copy ? thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

6. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links between directories

Hi all, lets consider 2 directories test1 and test2. I want to link test2 to point to test1, how do u do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
ERROR::PASS5(7stap)													       ERROR::PASS5(7stap)

NAME
error::pass5 - systemtap pass-5 errors DESCRIPTION
Errors that occur during pass 5 (execution) can have a variety of causes. exceptional events during script execution The systemtap translator and runtime include numerous error checks that aim to protect the systems and the users from mistakes or transient conditions. The script may deliberately call the error() tapset function to signal a problem. Some memory needed for accessing $context variables may be temporarily unavailable. Consider using the try/catch construct to wrap script fragments in exception-handling code. Consider using the stap --suppress-handler-errors or stap --skip-badvars option. resource exhaustion One of several types of space or time resource limits may be exceeded by the script, including system overload, too many tuples to be stored in an array, etc. Some of the error messages identify the constraint by macro name, which may be individually raised. Consider using the stap --suppress-handler-errors option. Extend or disable resource limits using the stap -DLIMIT=NNNN option. remote execution server problems If you use the stap --remote option to direct a systemtap script to be executed somewhere else, ensure that an SSH connection may be made to the remote host, and that it has the current systemtap runtime installed & available. installation/permission problems It is possible that your installation of systemtap was not correctly installed. For example, the /usr/bin/staprun program may lack the necessary setuid permissions, or your invoking userid might not have sufficient privileges (root, or stapusr and related group memberships). Environment variables may interfere with locating /usr/libexec/.../stapio. errors from target program The program invoked by the stap -c CMD option may exit with a non-zero code. uncaught exceptions in the target program When using --runtime=dyninst you may encounter an issue where the target program aborts with a message like "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'foo_exception'". This is unfortunately a limitation of Dyninst, which sometimes prevents exceptions from properly unwinding through instrumented code. GATHERING MORE INFORMATION
Increasing the verbosity of pass-5 with an option such as --vp 00001 can help pinpoint the problem. SEE ALSO
stap(1), http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/TipExhaustedResourceErrors, error::fault(7stap), error::reporting(7stap) ERROR::PASS5(7stap)