Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to know return value of the script Post 302211223 by madhusmita on Thursday 3rd of July 2008 01:08:24 AM
Old 07-03-2008
How to know return value of the script

I have a script and when it is running it is showing PASSED or FAILED.But I would like to pass the results into return code.So pls provide suggession how to add return code into this script

AgcfIp=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfIp_1`
AgcfShell=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfShell_1`
AgcfPath=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfPath_1`
AgcfUser=`GetSoftatcValue AgcfUser_1`

E=`${AgcfShell} -l ${AgcfUser} ${AgcfIp} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; /usr/bin/hostname"`
D=`${AgcfShell} -l ${AgcfUser} ${AgcfIp} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; /usr/bin/uname -a"`
if [ "$D" == "SunO111S $E 5.10 Generic_127112-10 i86pc i386 i86pc" ]
then
echo "PASSED";
else
echo "FAILED";
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return valuse from child script to parent script

Hi, I am trying to return a value from child script to a parent script just as a function does. The child script will look for a file and if exists will return 1 else 0. I need to capture the status 1 from child script in the parent script and proceed further. if 0, i need not do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to return value

I have 3 scripts script A - wrapper script to disguise invoker true identity script B - perform database operation and return a value (either W/H) -> return value by echoing the result script C - use script A to mask as the database owner then invoke script B to retrieve the value ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how ro use return from a child script

I use return <value> to return a value from inside an else condition in child script to parent script and i am getting the following error.What is this sourced script? Can I return value to a different script using return statement. return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codeman007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI , Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script. Code: === Perl file my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh"); my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh"); I need exit status of below commands i.e 0 and 1 respectively. Since in both the cases diff is working so system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkelect
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value from another script

Hi! I have a parameter in an existing script, let's call the parameter param1 and the script - script1. I have another script - script2, which receives param1 and returns a certain value. I would like this value to be returned inside param1. There is no problem with script2, it runs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script

Hello all, I am trying to do a tail in a script. But when I quit the tail my script quits also. This is not what I want. I am struggling to get this done. #!/bin/bash askFile() { echo -n "Enter file: " read FILE } doTail() { tail -F "${1}" } askFile doTail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdark
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)