Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to read a core file
Operating Systems Solaris How to read a core file Post 302210989 by Tirmazi on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 11:31:34 AM
Old 07-02-2008
How to read a core file

I have a SUN Ultra 80 running Solaris 5.8 I have a couple of applications running on it. The /var/core file seems to be filling up by 2% per day.
Could anyone pls suggest how to read contents of /var/core I have read couple of docs but seems to be too cumbersome. Please suggest something
example is as below

root@BALUQATGZ2:/var/core# ls -tl
total 168336
-rw------- 1 root root 15608472 Apr 9 14:25 core.rwrun60.15060.BALUQATGZ2.0.0.1207743907
-rw------- 1 root root 15608472 Apr 9 14:25 core.rwrun60.15060.BALUQATGZ2.0.0.1207743904
-rw------- 1 root root 15379096 Nov 27 2007 core.rwrun60.10924.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

core file

Hi friends, Can core file be deleted if there is no need for any one to use it for debugging ? What should be the setting for a person who has root access to the solaris system ? thanks in advance Veera (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to use core file?

Hi experts, A good day to you all. With debug option, I compiled a big program called OpenFOAM (Written mainly in c++) on IRIX. after it is finished, I got a SEGV when I executed it. I noticed that the core file is quite a big block (800M)! However, I can get very little information... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakeat
9 Replies

3. Solaris

core file

hello all, I have same core like below: lsav@GINTINGsmsc1/var/opt/GINTING/cores/SLF $ pstack core core 'core' of 26799: /opt/GINTING/bin/SLF -poolSize 520000 pstack: warning: librtld_db failed to initialize; symbols from shared libraries will not be available ----------------- lwp# 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredginting
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

5. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to delete core file (file created due to apps crashed)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: When looking for corefiles, include any file with core in its name. (Some UNIX/Linux systems add the PID of the process that created the core to reduce the chances of overwriting an already existing core file that might be needed. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. Linux

unable to read core dumps on unix. Is there another way than using GDB?

hi all, I am having set of core dumps obtained from client server. Now i am trying to read them but unable to do so. I have few queries: 1. Core dumps were generated on some xyz server and copied to my unix virtual. Can I read them as text here? 2. I tried installing gdb-7.3 but when i fire... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyogs
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Read core files

In sun solaris whenever a jvm crashes we used to get the core file generated in binary format. We convert this core file to human readable format using pstack corefile >> log How can we convert the core file generated in HPUX to human readable format ? We dont have pstack either. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies
gcore(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
gcore [-pgF] [-o filename] [-c content] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The gcore utility creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for the process whose process ID is process-id will be core.process-id. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c content Produces core image files with the specified content. The content description uses the same tokens as in coreadm(1M). The -c option does not apply to cores produced due to the -p or -g flags. -F Force. Grabs the target process even if another process has control. -g Produces core image files in the global core file repository with the global content as configured by coreadm(1M). The com- mand will fail if the user does not have permissions to the global core file repository. -o filename Substitutes filename in place of core as the first part of the name of the core image files. filename can contain the same tokens to be expanded as the paths in coreadm(1M). -p Produces a core image file in the process-specific location with the process-specific content for each process as config- ured by coreadm(1M). The command will fail if the user does not have permissions to the per-process core file repository. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: process-id process ID EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 On success. non-zero On failure, such as non-existent process ID. FILES
core.process-id core images ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ Command Syntax is Evolving. Output Format(s) are Unstable. SEE ALSO
kill(1), coreadm(1M), setrlimit(2), core(4), proc(4), attributes(5) NOTES
gcore is unaffected by the setrlimit(2) system call using the RLIMIT_CORE value. SunOS 5.10 11 Feb 2004 gcore(1)