Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming execv lauches a process using "/bin/sh -c" Post 302210298 by shamrock on Monday 30th of June 2008 03:56:31 PM
Old 06-30-2008
Which shell is chosen to execute a script depends only on the format of the shebang line in your script. It has nothing to do with the shell that you are currently interacting with. If your script does not contain the shebang line and you want to pick the shell for your script's execution use the execl() system call.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#!/bin/sh script fails at StringA | tr "[x]" "[y]"

I need to take a string (stringA) check it for spaces and replace any spaces found with an equal (=) sign. This is not working. There are spaces between each component: $StringA | tr "" "" The error returned is: test: Specify a parameter with this command Can you help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

HPUX net-SNMP interpreter "/bin/perl" not found

I am trying to install net-snmp on an HPUX box. I am getting the fallowing error message when I try to run the snmpconf file. I installed the fallowing version of net-snmp net-snmp-5.0.10.2-HP-UX_B.11.11_9000_800.tar and my HPUX box is version HP-UX commnms B.11.11 U 9000/800... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisarmstrong
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between "#! /bin/sh" and "#! /bin/sh"

In shell Programming, we know it should begin with "#! /bin/sh", it means use /bin/sh to interpreter the following command in the shell script. But today I saw "#! /bin/sh -", it saied using "-" follow "#! /bin/sh " can avoid spoofing attack. Anyone could explain that for me? What is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between "/bin/bash" & "/bin/sh"

what if the difference between #!/bin/sh and #!/bin/bash I wrote a script with the second heading now when i change my heading to the first one ...the script is not executing well....im not getting the required output....any solution to this problem...or do i have to start the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
EXECL(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  EXECL(3)

NAME
execl, execv, execle, execlp, execvp, exec, execve, exect, environ - execute a file SYNOPSIS
execl(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn; execv(name, argv) char *name, *argv[]; execle(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0, envp) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn, *envp[]; exect(name, argv, envp) char *name, *argv[], *envp[]; extern char **environ; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the execve system call. Refer to execve(2) for a description of their properties; only brief descriptions are provided here. Exec in all its forms overlays the calling process with the named file, then transfers to the entry point of the core image of the file. There can be no return from a successful exec; the calling core image is lost. The name argument is a pointer to the name of the file to be executed. The pointers arg[0], arg[1] ... address null-terminated strings. Conventionally arg[0] is the name of the file. Two interfaces are available. execl is useful when a known file with known arguments is being called; the arguments to execl are the char- acter strings constituting the file and the arguments; the first argument is conventionally the same as the file name (or its last compo- nent). A 0 argument must end the argument list. The execv version is useful when the number of arguments is unknown in advance; the arguments to execv are the name of the file to be exe- cuted and a vector of strings containing the arguments. The last argument string must be followed by a 0 pointer. The exect version is used when the executed file is to be manipulated with ptrace(2). The program is forced to single step a single instruction giving the parent an opportunity to manipulate its state. On the VAX-11 this is done by setting the trace bit in the process status longword. Exect is not available on the PDP-11. When a C program is executed, it is called as follows: main(argc, argv, envp) int argc; char **argv, **envp; where argc is the argument count and argv is an array of character pointers to the arguments themselves. As indicated, argc is convention- ally at least one and the first member of the array points to a string containing the name of the file. Argv is directly usable in another execv because argv[argc] is 0. Envp is a pointer to an array of strings that constitute the environment of the process. Each string consists of a name, an "=", and a null-terminated value. The array of pointers is terminated by a null pointer. The shell sh(1) passes an environment entry for each global shell variable defined when the program is called. See environ(7) for some conventionally used names. The C run-time start-off routine places a copy of envp in the global cell environ, which is used by execv and execl to pass the environment to any subprograms executed by the current program. Execlp and execvp are called with the same arguments as execl and execv, but duplicate the shell's actions in searching for an executable file in a list of directories. The directory list is obtained from the environment. FILES
/bin/sh shell, invoked if command file found by execlp or execvp SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), environ(7), csh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the file cannot be found, if it is not executable, if it does not start with a valid magic number (see a.out(5)), if maximum memory is exceeded, or if the arguments require too much space, a return constitutes the diagnostic; the return value is -1. Even for the super- user, at least one of the execute-permission bits must be set for a file to be executed. BUGS
If execvp is called to execute a file that turns out to be a shell command file, and if it is impossible to execute the shell, the values of argv[0] and argv[-1] will be modified before return. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 4, 1987 EXECL(3)