Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX /etc/syslog.conf file and warnings Post 302210227 by jeffpas on Monday 30th of June 2008 11:02:39 AM
Old 06-30-2008
Smilie

The only thing I can think of to do is run the script via crontab, every minute of every day, such as this:

* * * * * /usr/bin/myscript

But this project manager wants the script to run 'realtime', meaning every time a log message writes from syslogd.

There does not seem to be any way to trigger a script to run through syslogd..........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syslog.conf file and syslogd daemon

Hello, I need a few information/explanation about system messages, syslog.conf file and syslogd daemon. My problem is the following: I would like to log all system messages related to hardware problems into a particular file. For that, i have to add an entry in the syslog.conf file. I know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

syslog.conf

Hi all I have a RedHat Linux AS2.1 server that keep crashing/rebooting and there are no messages in the /var/log/messages file pointing to any problems. I had a look at the /etc/syslog.conf file to see what gets logged to /var/log/messages, but I don't know what else to add. Can anyone tell me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

3. Solaris

syslog-ng.conf

Has anyone here configured a central syslog server using syslog-ng ? I have set one up and I'm trying to tune the syslog-ng.conf file, both for the server and the client. I have found lots of linux example files, but not much on Solaris which is slightly different. So if you have a Solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent errors/warnings from being written to log file

i have this script which works fine but shows errors when it runs..these are more like warnings and the script runs fine.. i am on a sun machine.. i know it writes all the error messages to a master log file.. is there any way i can turn off these warnings/error messages and prevent them from being... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 question on syslog.conf file

Hi, I have a question on /etc/syslog.conf file in Solaris 10. Below is a line taken from /etc/syslog.conf file and I know that the last field (operator) is where the logs gets outputted but how do I find out what the output file name format is going to be and which directory it gets outputted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevefox
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse /etc/syslog.conf file

Hello there, Guys I've got an issue and I need a hint...I have to parse /etc/syslog.conf file (under solaris) and need to get all path accordingly to all logs configured in there. Bellow it's my syslog.conf file. If anybody knows more about this please let me know. Thanks . #ident ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syslog.conf

How can i configure messages with warn priority to be logged in /var/log/mywarnings.log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0dlik3
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Configuring syslog.conf

Hi, I would like to configure syslog linux client, syslog server is windows server. so adding on linux client in /etc/syslog.conf @hostname will work in the place of directory location. example of /etc/syslog.conf # Log all kernel messages to the console. # Logging much else clutters up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies
MOTD.TAIL(5)						   Debian Administrator's Manual					      MOTD.TAIL(5)

NAME
motd.tail - Template for building the system message of the day DESCRIPTION
On Debian systems, the system message of the day is rebuilt at each startup, in order to display an accurate information. /etc/motd.tail is the file to edit permanent changes to the message of the day. OVERVIEW
The initiation script /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh prepends a line containing information about the system to /etc/motd.tail and stores the resulting file in /var/run/motd. /etc/motd is a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. This is done to prevent changes to /etc as the system can not assume /etc to be writable. Changes to /etc/motd effectively end up in a file under /var/run which will be regenerated upon reboot. A symbolic link to a different file, such as /etc/motd.static disables this behaviour. FILES
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh The initiation script which builds /var/run/motd /etc/motd Symbolic link to the system message of the day at /var/run/motd /etc/motd.tail Template for building the system message of the day /var/run/motd System message of the day file rebuilt at each computer start SEE ALSO
login(1), issue(5), motd(5). Debian 2007-04-28 MOTD.TAIL(5)