Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers string replacement in a sequence of characters Post 302208814 by vino on Wednesday 25th of June 2008 03:31:32 AM
Old 06-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoscb
Hi All,
I have a string "TBM630300000000020080506094041000003818".I want to replace the last nine digits with another string stored in a variabe called "count".The variabe is also having nine digits.Could any one please help me on this how to accomplish.I need a detail syntax(not in the short form) since i am new to the unix scripting.

I tried with some flavour of "string" commands but those are not supported by my KSH environment.

Appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Narasimharao.
Here is something to start with

Code:
echo "your_string" | sed -e "s/\(.*\)........./\1$count/"

A . represents any character. A .* means any number of characters. \(.*\) would collect the characters into a buffer. Since we need to replace the last nine numbers, you can represent them as nine consecutive dots or as [0-9]\{9\}. This will get replaced with the contents of $count.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of string

Hi I have a text file which contains the following. AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD How can I replace all CCC with 888, with other contents inside the file remain unchange? Please advice Desired output: AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0384
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi I am new to shell scripting but i manage to do some simple things. I am trying to replace a string in one file. I am using sed to replace but it is not permanently writing to the file, rather it is temporary. I want to know whether is there any another method to replace a string in a file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Escape Sequence Characters

Hi All, I have added the script command to user profile so that to record the on-screen data.But when i i checked the O/P i could see lot of escape sequence is there way to remove it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutechaps
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

First number sequence from string

Hi, I have a string like: DBMS stats (Number Used | Percentage of total): 10 | 1.00% I have a sed command to extract numbers from this string: sed "s///g;s/^$/-1/;" Output: 10100 However what I want the sed command to return is only the first number(regardless of its size) i.e.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mccartj5
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
ddi_strtoll(9F) 					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					   ddi_strtoll(9F)

NAME
ddi_strtoll, ddi_strtoull - string conversion functions SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int ddi_strtoll(const char *str, char **endptr, int base, longlong_t *result); int ddi_strtoull(const char *str, char **endptr, int base, u_longlong_t *result); PARAMETERS
str pointer to a character string to be converted endptr post-conversion final string of unrecognized characters base radix used for conversion result pointer to variable which contains the converted value INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) DESCRIPTION
The ddi_strtoll() function converts the initial portion of the string pointed to by str to a type longlong_t representation and stores the converted value in result. The ddi_strtoull() function converts the initial portion of the string pointed to by str to a type u_longlong_t representation and stores the converted value in result. These functions first decomposes the input string into three parts: 1. An initial (possibly empty) sequence of white-space characters (" ", " ", " ", " ", "f") 2. A subject sequence interpreted as an integer represented in some radix determined by the value of base 3. A final string of one or more unrecognized characters, including the terminating null byte of the input string. The ddi_strtoll() function then attempts to convert the subject sequence to an integer and returns the result. The ddi_strtoull() function attempts to convert the subject sequence to an unsigned integer and returns the result. If the value of base is 0, the expected form of the subject sequence is that of a decimal constant, octal constant or hexadecimal constant, any of which may be preceded by a plus ("+") or minus ("-") sign. A decimal constant begins with a non-zero digit, and consists of a sequence of decimal digits. An octal constant consists of the prefix 0 optionally followed by a sequence of the digits 0 to 7 only. A hexa- decimal constant consists of the prefix 0x or 0X followed by a sequence of the decimal digits and letters a (or A) to f (or F) with values 10 to 15 respectively. If the value of base is between 2 and 36, the expected form of the subject sequence is a sequence of letters and digits representing an integer with the radix specified by base, optionally preceded by a plus or minus sign. The letters from a (or A) to z (or Z) inclusive are ascribed the values 10 to 35 and only letters whose ascribed values are less than that of base are permitted. If the value of base is 16, the characters 0x or 0X may optionally precede the sequence of letters and digits, following the sign if present. The subject sequence is defined as the longest initial subsequence of the input string, starting with the first non-white-space character that is of the expected form. The subject sequence contains no characters if the input string is empty or consists entirely of white-space characters, or if the first non-white-space character is other than a sign or a permissible letter or digit. If the subject sequence has the expected form and the value of base is 0, the sequence of characters starting with the first digit is interpreted as an integer constant. If the subject sequence has the expected form and the value of base is between 2 and 36, it is used as the base for conversion, ascribing to each letter its value as given above. If the subject sequence begins with a minus sign, the value resulting from the conversion is negated. A pointer to the final string is stored in the object pointed to by endptr, provided that endptr is not a null pointer. If the subject sequence is empty or does not have the expected form, no conversion is performed and the value of str is stored in the object pointed to by endptr, provided that endptr is not a null pointer. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return 0 and store the converted value in result. If no conversion is performed due to an invalid base, these functions return EINVAL and the variable pointed by result is not changed. CONTEXT
These functions may be called from user, kernel or interrupt context. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 25 Feb 2009 ddi_strtoll(9F)