Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Urgent help needed to delete some text without opening the file in unix Post 302208576 by pyaranoid on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 09:22:14 AM
Old 06-24-2008
This is not working. PLease advise.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent answer needed, please: help with a text editor

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm in a big hurry and I need a pretty quick answer: I have to make a project for school which consists of many BASH scripts. At school we have Sun Sparcs. During the laboratory hours I used to open the text editor (in the graphics interface), edit the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MtFR
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete file without opening vi

hi there guys, wonder if any gurus can help me out on this one... try searching the past threads but cant find anything. i have this huge file but when i use vi to open it it gives me the following error: <"pmrepserver.txt""/var/tmp/Ex86200" There is not enough space in the file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help required in deleting a line without opening a file usinga shell script

Hi, I need a help in deleting a line matching a particular pattern in a file using shell script without opening the file. The file is a .c/.cpp file. Is it possible? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix book (urgent help needed)

hi guys i am new to UNIX and i am very much excited to learn how it works.. i was very confused with how to start and what book to follow so i went to my lecturer and asked him if he could suggest something. he advised me to get this book Your UNIX: The Ultimate Guide by "Sumitabha Das" ISBN:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhashkashyap
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular text without opening the file.

Hi, Could someone tell me how to delete a particular text inside an existing file without opening the file? e.g. I have a text file called mytext.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want to delete “ ;” and delete the second line “b ;” including the carriage return. a ; b ; c ;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Delete string without opening a file

Hi Experts, I have several big size file arround 900 MB. From the file I need to delete some common strings but without opening the file. here is example- in file <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' standalone='no'?> <LogItems> <log logid="8423b5ae190810252359350480/1/1/1"> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT: Script/Function needed to read text property files in block wise

Hi, Iam in a need for a script/function in KSH where I want to read a text file (property file) in block by block. Here is the example: Heading Name Descripton Block Block1 Value1 Description Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysreenivas
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent help needed regarding splitting file

how can i split a file on last record ? say i have a file A with 4 records as follows : first line second line third line last line I want to make two files B and C with contents of B as first line second line third line and the contents of C as last line (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
8 Replies

9. Programming

Wrapper for unix program - urgent help needed

Hello all , i need some help asap i have a program that keeps killing the machine when i did google searches and 2 days later i ran strace it seems the programm keeps making a system call to gettimeofday to i guess increment a counter ? gettimeofday({1347986584, 464904}, NULL) = 0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetworkLearning
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file without opening the file and delete last line?

I have file called "text". The contents are as below : aaa bbb ccc ddd eee ffff ddd hhhh iiii I want to read this file without opening and and delete the last line. How can it be done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_hunter
4 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-LP] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -P option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. DIAGNOSTICS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
February 4, 2002 BSD