Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming XWindows programming + gcc linker options Post 302208434 by JamesGoh on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 12:24:20 AM
Old 06-24-2008
Never mind, I figured it out thru some trial and error (a bit of reading on the way :P)

For those interested, whenever you compile a program (which contains XWindows-based functions) in gcc, do the following

Code:
gcc  -compiler options  myprogram.c  -o  myprogram  -lX11

-lX11 is the linking option you need to be able to use XWindows based functions

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

programming options

I am working on a community college certification in programming and have a choice of specialization in Java ,Visual Basic ,or Visual C++. I am curious to know what specialization would be best for the current job market and increase my earning potential? Any feedback would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
5 Replies

2. Solaris

gcc & linker question (Solaris 10)

Hi, I'm confused about the GCC & Linking process could somebody please briefly explain? I have GCC 3.4.6 installed from SunFreeware. Reading the narrative alongside the package states "It was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in /usr/ccs/bin if the SUNW developer packages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Celtic_Monkey
1 Replies

3. Programming

GCC: Choose my own linker

Hi, I do not use the default linker, and instead us another one and pass this argument -Wl,--dynamic-linker=<path to linker> to gcc when compiling. However, what happens if the linker is not under /lib and /lib64 and I am not able to create a symlink to the linker in /lib or /lib64 due to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shompis
2 Replies

4. AIX

xlc compiler options versus gcc

Hi all, I would like to compile a program and get current errors and warnings report to me as « gcc -Wall ». Does someone can give me these options to get an equivalent ? Or the ommon option used to put them in a CFLAGS in a Makefile. Something like : xlc -O2 -Wall my_prog.c -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domiq44
5 Replies

5. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

6. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

7. Programming

Gcc openmp programming problem

Dear Linux users, I'm a noob at openmp, gcc and c programming. I can run my own openmp code in terminal with no problem, eg. gcc -fopenmp program.c -o program. But now I'm trying to compile and run another person's code, it contains a makefile and multiple .c and .h files. I don't know how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pigeon151
2 Replies

8. Programming

Help with gcc programming

I need a lot of help with c programming. I have the source code. Running configure, I got one error message about a missing library. I downloaded and successfully compiled it in another dir. Do I throw all the new files into my source dir and run configure again ? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
FORT77(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 FORT77(1)

NAME
fort77 - invoke f2c Fortran translator transparently, like a compiler SYNOPSIS
fort77 [-c] [-g] [-v] [-k] [-P] [-cpp] [f2c option ...] [-L directory ...] [gcc-option ...] [link option ...] [-O optlevel] [-o out- file] [-s] [-w] [-Wx,arg1[,arg2]...] file ... DESCRIPTION
The fort77 script invokes the f2c command transparently, so it can be used like a real Fortran compiler. It can be used to compile For- tran, C and assembler code, and to link it with the f2c libraries. File arguments ending with .f are compiled as Fortran source files. Files which end with .P are passed through to f2c, and files ending with .F are passed to the C preprocessor (invoked as "/lib/cpp -traditional") first. Any switches passed via -D will be passed to the pre- processor. If the translation is successful, the resulting C files will be passed to cc for translation into an object file. Files ending in .c, .C, .cc, .i, .s, .S, .m, .cc or .cxx are passed to the GNU C compiler directly; see gcc(1). All other files are passed to the linker. OPTIONS
-c Supress linking and produce an object ( .o ) file from each source file. -g Include debugging information. -v Be verbose; supplying this twice will also tell the C compilers etc to be verbose. -k Keep the C files generated by f2c around. -cpp Pass Fortran code through the C preprocessor, as if filenames ended in .F. -P Generate f2c .P files. -Ldirectory Include directory in the search for libraries in the final linking stage. -o outfile Send output to outfile. -trapuv Have f2c generate code to trap uninitialized values. -Wx,arg1[,arg2...] Pass the argument[s] argi through to the subprocess x, where x can assume one of the following values: f for the f2c step, p for the preprocessing step, c for the C compiler, a for the assembler (this is actually passed to the C compiler, too), and l for the linker. As an example, defining a preprocessor constant for the C compilation step would be done with -Wc,-DUNIX=1. Specifying the -f option to f2c would be done via -Wf,-f. f2c option fort77 passes through almost all f2c options: -C, -U, -u, -a, -E, -h, -P, -R, -r, -z, -I2, -I4, -onetrip, -!c, -!l, -!P, -!R, -ext, -!bs, -W[n], -trapuv, -w8, -r8 and -w66. gcc options The following options are passed through to gcc: -f*, -W*, -U*, -A*, -m*, -S, -E, -v, -x, -pipe, -o, -I, -V, -b*, -p, -pg. linker option The options passed to the linking stage are -static, -shared, -v, -V, and -symbolic. BUGS
To make debugging work, you need to set a breakpoint at MAIN__ before you start. f2c This script automatically supplies the -I. option to f2c. Older versions of f2c may not support this. This script is for the interaction of gcc and f2c; using it with another compiler will probably require modification. The fort77 script does not strictly conform to Posix.2, because it acceppts long options with one leading slash. This is done for gcc com- patibility. SEE ALSO
f2c(1), cc(1), as(1), ld(1) AUTHOR
Thomas Koenig, ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de Linux Nov 1996 FORT77(1)