Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming XWindows programming + gcc linker options Post 302208434 by JamesGoh on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 12:24:20 AM
Old 06-24-2008
Never mind, I figured it out thru some trial and error (a bit of reading on the way :P)

For those interested, whenever you compile a program (which contains XWindows-based functions) in gcc, do the following

Code:
gcc  -compiler options  myprogram.c  -o  myprogram  -lX11

-lX11 is the linking option you need to be able to use XWindows based functions

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

programming options

I am working on a community college certification in programming and have a choice of specialization in Java ,Visual Basic ,or Visual C++. I am curious to know what specialization would be best for the current job market and increase my earning potential? Any feedback would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
5 Replies

2. Solaris

gcc & linker question (Solaris 10)

Hi, I'm confused about the GCC & Linking process could somebody please briefly explain? I have GCC 3.4.6 installed from SunFreeware. Reading the narrative alongside the package states "It was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in /usr/ccs/bin if the SUNW developer packages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Celtic_Monkey
1 Replies

3. Programming

GCC: Choose my own linker

Hi, I do not use the default linker, and instead us another one and pass this argument -Wl,--dynamic-linker=<path to linker> to gcc when compiling. However, what happens if the linker is not under /lib and /lib64 and I am not able to create a symlink to the linker in /lib or /lib64 due to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shompis
2 Replies

4. AIX

xlc compiler options versus gcc

Hi all, I would like to compile a program and get current errors and warnings report to me as « gcc -Wall ». Does someone can give me these options to get an equivalent ? Or the ommon option used to put them in a CFLAGS in a Makefile. Something like : xlc -O2 -Wall my_prog.c -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domiq44
5 Replies

5. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

6. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

7. Programming

Gcc openmp programming problem

Dear Linux users, I'm a noob at openmp, gcc and c programming. I can run my own openmp code in terminal with no problem, eg. gcc -fopenmp program.c -o program. But now I'm trying to compile and run another person's code, it contains a makefile and multiple .c and .h files. I don't know how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pigeon151
2 Replies

8. Programming

Help with gcc programming

I need a lot of help with c programming. I have the source code. Running configure, I got one error message about a missing library. I downloaded and successfully compiled it in another dir. Do I throw all the new files into my source dir and run configure again ? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
sdl-config(1)						      General Commands Manual						     sdl-config(1)

NAME
sdl-config - script to get information about the installed version of SDL SYNOPSIS
sdl-config [ --prefix[=DIR] ] [ --exec-prefix[=DIR] ] [ --version ] [ --cflags ] [ --libs ] [ --static-libs ] DESCRIPTION
sdl-config is a tool that is used to configure and determine the compiler and linker flags that should be used to compile and link pro- grams, and libraries, and plugins that use SDL. It is also used internally by the m4 macros that are included with SDL. OPTIONS
--cflags Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program or library that uses SDL. --exec-prefix=DIR If specified, use DIR instead of the installation exec prefix that SDL was build with when computing the output for the --exec-pre- fix option. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags, and --libs options. --libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a program that uses SDL. --prefix=DIR If specified, use DIR instead of the installation prefix that SDL was built with when computing the output for the --prefix, and --exec-prefix options. This option is also used for the exec prefix if --exec-prefix was not specified. This option must be speci- fied before any of the --cflags, and --libs options. --static-libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to statically link a program that uses SDL. --version Prints the currently installed version of SDL on standard output. EXAMPLES
gcc -o main.o $(sdl-config --cflags) main.c is how you might use sdl-config to compile a C source file for an executable program. gcc -o my_app $(sdl-config --libs) main.o util.o is how you might use sdl-config to link compiled objects into an executable program. AUTHOR
The Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library was written by Sam Lantinga. This manual page was written by Branden Robinson, originally for Progeny Linux Systems, Inc., and the Debian Project. This manual page was modified by Petr Pisar to match original SDL distribution. SDL 1.2 2013-06-19 sdl-config(1)