Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output formatting prob.. guyz plz hlp Post 302208183 by anushree.a on Monday 23rd of June 2008 07:32:52 AM
Old 06-23-2008
Output formatting prob.. guyz plz hlp

SmilieHi guys,
I have written a script that returns 3 things of all the employees in my organisation. i.e. Name, Login time & log out time of each and every employee. It returns the output in pipe-delimited format. For your ref. sending a small sample

e.g.
Deepti|083032|174501
Anushka|081705|190003
Neeraj|082715|173200

After getting this output I copy it to excel and convert that pipe-delimited txt to normal excel format by using “Text-to-columns” option in excel.
Then I use MS Word's “Mail Merge” function to arrange n print it in a particular format. For your ref. sending a small sample

e.g. (After using MS word's “Mail Merge” option, the document which is ready to print looks something like this)

Name: Deepti

Login time: 083032

Log out time: 174501

Name: Anushka

Login time: 081705

Log out time: 190003

Name: Neeraj

Login time: 082715

Log out time: 173200

This format then I print on a “PIN Mailer” (Continuous stationary)
Now, what my problem is, as you can see, I have to do lot of manual work in this log printing process.
Can I in any way automate it? Like, something which I can incorporate in my script which is giving me that pipe-delimited format.
Can I get a txt document that can be ready to print?

Waiting for reply.
And thanx in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to download Red hat plz Hlp ?

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/ Hi all , I know how to go to the distibution site but How to download if using ftp I want to ask this Q:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect to the Internet Using RH 7.2 i.e configuration plz Hlp

How to connect to the Internet Using RH 7.2 i.e configuration plz Hlp.....cause I want to accsses to the Internet to download Help and application in the Red hat OS???? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plz Help How should I configure cc compiler output file plz help???

i.e configuration of C compiler :confused: (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the output of that Shell Scripts Plz tell me

tr "" "" | sort | awk 'length($0)>0' | uniq -c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brain_full
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi guyz

i require a script which can import the ip address and use it as an input to other. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: din_annauniv
3 Replies

6. Linux

Output formatting problem..Plz hlp

Hi guys, It will be a great help if somebody can help me in following problem. I have tried hard but because of lack of UNIX/LINUX knowledge I am not able to do it. I have written a script that returns 3 things of all the employees in my organisation. i.e. Name, Login time & log out time of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

File opening prob. plz assist guys

Hi friends, this problem is pretty similar to the thread that i have generated earlier. If the TXT file that i have opened using "cat" is huge then my putty can only show me last few lines. Similarly if i use "more" command to open a huge TXT file then it asks to press any key to scroll up the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting ls output

I am using find and ls to search for "warez" files on my server. find /home/ -regex ".*\.\(avi\|mp3\|mpeg\|mpg\|iso\)" -print0 | xargs -0 ls -oh This command produces this: -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 3.2M Feb 18 2009 /home/user/public_html/lupus.mp3 I want to only get this 3.2M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonrad
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies
ncab2clf(1)							   User Commands						       ncab2clf(1)

NAME
ncab2clf - convert binary log file to Common Log File format SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/ncab2clf [-Dhv] [-i input-file] [-o output-file] [-b size] [-n number] [-s datetime] DESCRIPTION
The ncab2clf command is used to convert the log file generated by the Solaris Network Cache and Accelerator ("NCA") from binary format, to Common Log File ("CLF") format. If no input-file is specified, ncab2clf uses stdin. If no output-file is specified, the output goes to std- out. OPTIONS
-b Specifies the binary-log-file blocking in kilobytes; the default is 64 Kbyte. -D Specifies that direct I/O be disabled. -h Prints usage message. -i input-file Specifies the input file. -n number Output number CLF records. -o output-file Specifies the output file. -s datetime Skip any records before the date and time specified in datetime. You can specify the date and time in CLF format or in the format specified by the touch(1) utility. CLF format is the dominant format, so ncab2clf first analyzes datetime assuming CLF. -v Provides verbose output. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting a Binary File to a Common Log File Format The following example converts the binary file /var/nca/logs/nca.blf to a file /var/nca/logs/nca.clf, which is in Common Log File format. example% ncab2clf -D -i /var/nca/logs/nca.blf -o /var/nca/logs/nca.clf Example 2: Converting Multiple Log Files The following script may be used to convert multiple log files. The directory designated by "*" must only contain log files. !/bin/ksh for filename in * do ncab2clf -D < $filename > $filename.clf done Example 3: Using -s and -n on a Raw Device The following example shows how ncab2clf can be used on a raw device. If not using the -n option, the default is to convert all records from the starting location to the end of the file. The date and time specified with -s, below, is in CLF format. example% ncab2clf -s '10/Apr/2001:09:23:13' -n 100 < /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s6 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The file converted successfully >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWncau | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nca(1), ncakmod(1), nca.if(4), ncakmod.conf(4), ncalogd.conf(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: IP Services NOTES
The binary log files generated by NCA can become very large. When converting these large binary files, use the -b option to the ncab2clf command to help performance. Direct I/O is a benefit to the user if the data being written does not come in as large chunks. However, if the user wishes to convert the log file in large chunks using the -b option, then direct I/O should be disabled by using the -D option. SunOS 5.10 28 Sep 2001 ncab2clf(1)