Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script 'Enter' Command. Newbie. Post 302208166 by gwhelan on Monday 23rd of June 2008 06:28:16 AM
Old 06-23-2008
Data Script 'Enter' Command. Newbie.

Hi,

I have the following script which calls a program that asks for user input before progressing. I am new to scripting and this script was written by the previous admin. After $MERGE is executed the application associated with it needs user input - asks for 'Enter' to be pressed. At the moment the output is being redirected to /dev/null. I need to know how to script this. I have seen in other threads that you place a \r (carriage return) into the script. I don't know exactly how to do this though. Thanks for your help.

MERGE="/opt/application/application

$MERGE @list merged.pdf > /dev/null 2>&1

if (( $? != 0 ))
then
print "Merging files $patid_prev failed." >> $LOGFILE
else
patno=`echo $patid_prev | awk '{printf("%06d",$1)}'`
mv merged.pdf "$STARCH_DIR/${studyno}-${patno}.pdf"
fi

$MERGE > /dev/null 2>&1
if (( $? != 0 ))
then
print "PDF-Meld is not installed or not accessible." >> $LOGFILE
print "" >> $LOGFILE
print "Program aborted." >> $LOGFILE
rm -rf $WORKDIR
exit 1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter if-then condition on command prompt/line ?

Hi I have some trouble entering if-then condition in a single line on a command prompt in csh. Could someone show how does one do that ? eg: source .cshrc; cd $dir; pwd; test -d $backup_dir; if then mkdir -p ${backup_dir}; echo inside loop; fi; echo outside loop; mv -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping Enter command !!

Hi I have written a script which works well .. It's divided into a series of jobs one running after another But on pressing the enter key the whole script goes haywire .. I want a way to trap this enter command and echo it as invalid input .. Any suggestions highly appreciated... Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

command su : enter directly

Hi, a simple question : How can I sent user and password to the command su. I need this for a script, but the problem is the command su wait for the password. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvaquerm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enter the command to capture output--help

&& echo "PLEASE enter the command to capture output" || echo "Processing your command manual" x=$# echo $x while do while man $@ | read -r line do >$@.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter commands to the command prompt in a program

Hey, So I'm trying to write a program in unix to automate a process for my astrophysics research. Basically I want the program to prompt the user for some information and store the entered string of text as a variable. I know how to do this. This is where I need help: Now lets say I have a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freemoniez
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TWO QUESTIONS...How to create your own command in UNIX server,How to enter data in a file by script

I am a quite newbie on UNIX SCRIPTING...Please help me solving this two questions... 1st Question; I want to create one command that will run a script when anyone use that command on that server... I mean, in the prompt if I put my name 'Rony' it will execute a script called 'rony.sh'. How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rony-123
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to create a command to enter into a dir?

Hi all, I want to create a command for entering into a specific dir. for eg if i want to go to /var/spool/postfix/pid at any point if i enter a command suppose "sp" in the command line it should take me to /var/spool/postfix/pid thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: technoman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX: How to find down who enter a command?

Hi I'm working on AIX. My question: for example, I'm logging in. I enter command "last" and then I know there are 3 people logging in from 3 different IP at the same time, 2 are in the same account. Then someone enters a command. Is there any way to know exactly who ( which IP ) enters... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically enter input in command line

Hi, This is a script which to create an opvn user, I want which answer automatically to a certain part so, I try this, it works without the red part but I must type manually.. : #!/bin/bash ## Environnement ## LC_ALL=C ## Paths ## rsa_dir="etc/openvpn/easy-rsa"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
10 Replies
GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)                                                  Git Manual                                                  GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)

NAME
git-merge-index - Run a merge for files needing merging SYNOPSIS
git merge-index [-o] [-q] <merge-program> (-a | [--] <file>*) DESCRIPTION
This looks up the <file>(s) in the index and, if there are any merge entries, passes the SHA-1 hash for those files as arguments 1, 2, 3 (empty argument if no file), and <file> as argument 4. File modes for the three files are passed as arguments 5, 6 and 7. OPTIONS
-- Do not interpret any more arguments as options. -a Run merge against all files in the index that need merging. -o Instead of stopping at the first failed merge, do all of them in one shot - continue with merging even when previous merges returned errors, and only return the error code after all the merges. -q Do not complain about a failed merge program (a merge program failure usually indicates conflicts during the merge). This is for porcelains which might want to emit custom messages. If git merge-index is called with multiple <file>s (or -a) then it processes them in turn only stopping if merge returns a non-zero exit code. Typically this is run with a script calling Git's imitation of the merge command from the RCS package. A sample script called git merge-one-file is included in the distribution. ALERT ALERT ALERT! The Git "merge object order" is different from the RCS merge program merge object order. In the above ordering, the original is first. But the argument order to the 3-way merge program merge is to have the original in the middle. Don't ask me why. Examples: torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat MM This is MM from the original tree. # original This is modified MM in the branch A. # merge1 This is modified MM in the branch B. # merge2 This is modified MM in the branch B. # current contents or torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat AA MM cat: : No such file or directory This is added AA in the branch A. This is added AA in the branch B. This is added AA in the branch B. fatal: merge program failed where the latter example shows how git merge-index will stop trying to merge once anything has returned an error (i.e., cat returned an error for the AA file, because it didn't exist in the original, and thus git merge-index didn't even try to merge the MM thing). GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)