Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multithreading on OSX
Top Forums Programming multithreading on OSX Post 302207886 by memoid on Saturday 21st of June 2008 12:04:15 PM
Old 06-21-2008
Hi, thanks for the response.

Quote:
One more question, ( sorry if its silly ) do you check/validate the creation of threads ? Since its running in an infinite loop, conditions might go wrong and outbursting with the maximum number of threads that can be created.
I think something like that was happening when I went down the 'create a new thread every loop' approach, which is why I scrapped that idea and went for the 'infinite loop in the thread, but only run the update function when the variable is set' approach.

I think I've actually identified the problem. I think it was the sleep() function in my thread loop. I understand why I need that if the loop is continuously running and doing heavy stuff, but do I need it in my case?

When I comment out the sleep line (As below), the behaviour looks a lot smoother and correct, maybe because as soon as I set the bHasRunThisFrame flag in the thread instance to false, the update function is called almost immediately (which is what I want), whereas with the sleep() function, maybe there was a delay of upto interval before the update kicked in?.... or something :P Is it bad to not have a sleep function in there?

// run the update function in another thread
Code:
void MSAThread::threadedFunction() {						
	while(isThreadRunning()) {
		if( lock() ){
			if(bAutoLoop || !bHasRunThisFrame) {
				update();
				bHasRunThisFrame = true;
				unlock();
//				ofSleepMillis(interval); 
			} else {
				unlock();
			}
		}
	}
}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multithreading in Pro*C

:confused: Hi! I have created a Multhreaded Application in Pro*C (using pthreads) with about 5 Threads running simultaneously. The Application is basically to Update a Centralized Table in Oracle, which updates different rows in the Table (Each Thread updates different rows!). The... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaik786
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multithreading in UNIX

Hi, Can you please give me a suitable reference to learn multithreading programming in C in UNIX? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading program

Hi I need to insert 1million records into MySQL database, but it is taking lot of time as there is no bulk insert support. I want to spawn 10 processes which will insert 100k records each parallely. Can somebody help me with a example program to execute this task through shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_roger
5 Replies

4. Programming

MultiThreading using Pthreads

Situation: i have multiple pthread_create calls like this: pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc1,.....); pthread_create(...., ThreadFunc2,.....); . . which i am using to create multiple threads.All the "ThreadFunc<i>" functions are actually calling same function "Receive" of a class using same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sastra
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

6. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

7. Programming

Multithreading in reading file

Dear all, I am having a huge XML file, as below structure <EMPLOYEE> <RECORD id =aaa> <Salary>99999</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> <RECORD id =bbb> <Salary>77777</Salary> <section>ssss</section> </RECORD> </EMPLOYEE> This is a 50 GB file I want to read this file in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
9 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies

9. Programming

Help with multithreading

I take this question of the The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming page 652 exercise 30.1 I want someone to explain the under line statement because it sounds complex to me couldn't understand anything 30-1 Modify the program (thread_incr.c) so that each loop in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
3 Replies
pthread_key_create(3C)													    pthread_key_create(3C)

NAME
pthread_key_create - create thread-specific data key SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_key_create(pthread_key_t *key, void (*destructor, void*)); This function creates a thread-specific data key visible to all threads in the process. Key values provided by pthread_key_create() are opaque objects used to locate thread-specific data. Although the same key value may be used by different threads, the values bound to the key by pthread_setspecific() are maintained on a per-thread basis and persist for the life of the calling thread. Upon key creation, the value NULL is associated with the new key in all active threads. Upon thread creation, the value NULL is associ- ated with all defined keys in the new thread. An optional destructor function may be associated with each key value. At thread exit, if a key value has a non-NULL destructor pointer, and the thread has a non-NULL value associated with that key, the function pointed to is called with the current associated value as its sole argument. Destructors can be called in any order. If, after all the destructors have been called for all keys with non-NULL values, there are still some keys with non-NULL values, the process will be repeated. If, after at least PTHREAD_DESTRUCTOR_ITERATIONS iterations of destructor calls for outstanding non-NULL values, there are still some keys with non-NULL values, the process is continued, even though this might result in an infinite loop. If successful, the pthread_key_create() function stores the newly created key value at *key and returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_key_create() function will fail if: EAGAIN The system lacked the necessary resources to create another thread-specific data key, or the system-imposed limit on the total number of keys per process PTHREAD_KEYS_MAX has been exceeded. ENOMEM Insufficient memory exists to create the key. The pthread_key_create() function will not return an error code of EINTR. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pthread_getspecific(3C), pthread_setspecific(3C), pthread_key_delete(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 23 Mar 2005 pthread_key_create(3C)