Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tail -f monitoring
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tail -f monitoring Post 302207381 by MartyIX on Thursday 19th of June 2008 06:03:38 PM
Old 06-19-2008
well, I'm looking for a system file that periodically changes or at least quite often.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to sed with tail

hi, I am searching error and exception in my log and >> to report file, my code is : sed -n '//p;//p' $ARIBA_LOG_DIR/MyLog.txt >> $LOG_ERR_REP I need to report avove 5 line, that line and bellow 5 line.. what change is required in my code? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command..

I was wondering how can I do this I have file myfile.txt wc -l is: 5 000 000 I have to remove first 1 000 000 lines from header.. I tryed with tail -4000000 myfile.txt>newfile.txt but it does not work... any help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f and tr in a script

I have file that is being constantly written to example: file.txt ABC EBC ZZZ ABC I am trying to create a simple script that will tail this file and at the same time using tr to change B to F on lines containing 'B'. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. #!/bin/bash tail -f... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternative to tail -n -0 -F for monitoring live log file

Hello, I have been working on script which need to generate an alert based upon live logs. If string is found then an alert mail must triggered. tail -n -0 -F works fine to redirect the each latest line from live logs file to grep a pattern for matching but it seems to be not working on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
MAKE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAKE(1)

NAME
make - a program for maintaining large programs SYNOPSIS
make [-f file] [-iknpqrst] [option] ... [target] OPTIONS
-f Use file as the makefile -i Ignore status returned by commands -k On error, skip to next command -n Report, but do not execute -p Print macros and targets -q Question up-to-dateness of target -r Rule inhibit; do not use default rules -s Silent mode -t Touch files instead of making them EXAMPLES
make kernel # Make kernel up to date make -n -f mfile # Tell what needs to be done DESCRIPTION
Make is a program that is normally used for developing large programs consisting of multiple files. It keeps track of which object files depend on which source and header files. When called, it does the minimum amount of recompilation to bring the target file up to date. The file dependencies are expected in makefile or Makefile , unless another file is specified with -f. Make has some default rules built in, for example, it knows how to make .s files from .c files. Here is a sample makefile . d=/user/ast # d is a macro program: head.s tail.s# program depends on these cc -o program head.s tail.s# tells how to make program echo Program done. # announce completion head.s: $d/def.h head.c # head.s depends on these tail.s: $d/var.h tail.c # tail.s depends on these A complete description of make would require too much space here. Many books on UNIX discuss make . Study the numerous Makefiles in the MINIX source tree for examples. SEE ALSO
cc(1). MAKE(1)