Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Is it possible to see the content of the compressed file? Post 302207047 by era on Thursday 19th of June 2008 03:39:16 AM
Old 06-19-2008
Some tools such as less will allow you to inspect the contents of some compressed files without explicitly decompressing them. Of course, behind the scenes, it is extracting the compressed data to a temporary location.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Import data from compressed file

HI I need to import data from a file which is in comressed format but system doesn't have enough space to uncompress file Is there any way so that i can do import from compressed file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap_gore79
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file compressed or not

Is there a way I can check if a file is comppressed or not? (Be it tar/gzip or compress). trying to write a generic housekeeping scrit that will delete files over 6 months old and compress any uncompressed files if less than 6 months old. But not sure if there is a clever way to check except for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed file

I compressed a file by using gzip command gzip <<xx>> filename changed to xx.gz How to view this xx.gz file. Any idea. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all tar and compressed file

Hi, I'm trying to find all tar and compressed files (say gzip). I'm having to assume that the tar and gzip files may or may not have the correct extension (.tar .gz .tgz etc). Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process a compressed file

Hi i have a filename.tar.bz2 and i have to parse it with a tool that doesn't support compressed files. I have to do it for many big files, so i can't decompress and then process. I'd like to do something like: tar -jxvf namefile.tar.bz2 | parsing_tool i mean analyze it directly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressed file

i have a file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 when i do file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 the ouput is below 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292: gzip compressed data - deflate method and i run this command gunzip -c 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 | awk '{gsub("\"","")}/I_ACCOUNT_ID/{print $2}' RS=":|;" FS="," i get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Compressed byte offset from .gz file

Hi , I have a .gz file whose contents look like below. data1^filename1 data2^filename2. .. . . Is it possible to find out the byte offset of each record from the .gz file. Like in an uncompressed file. grep -nb "Filename" give the byte offset of the record in this case. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of compressed file

Hi All, Is there is any way to find the size of compressed file without doing decompression. The size should give the original uncompressed data size Thanks Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zgrep output to another compressed file

Hi, I have a big (~15G) compressed file having around 170M records and I need to exclude around 4k bad records (\n in the string) . The typical steps would have been 1. zgrep required records into new file zgrep big15GFile.dat.gz > newBig64GFile.dat 2. zip back new file gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamwha1am
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding file to compressed tarfile

Hello all, I would like to add a file to a compressed (gzip) tarfile. Normally it won't be a Problem, if I would do it in several steps. But I do not want to have unnecessary files. So, in words: unzip the tarfile add a new file zip the tarfile What I tried: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
3 Replies
CMS_uncompress(3SSL)						      OpenSSL						      CMS_uncompress(3SSL)

NAME
CMS_uncompress - uncompress a CMS CompressedData structure SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/cms.h> int CMS_uncompress(CMS_ContentInfo *cms, BIO *dcont, BIO *out, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
CMS_uncompress() extracts and uncompresses the content from a CMS CompressedData structure cms. data is a BIO to write the content to and flags is an optional set of flags. The dcont parameter is used in the rare case where the compressed content is detached. It will normally be set to NULL. NOTES
The only currently supported compression algorithm is zlib: if the structure indicates the use of any other algorithm an error is returned. If zlib support is not compiled into OpenSSL then CMS_uncompress() will always return an error. The following flags can be passed in the flags parameter. If the CMS_TEXT flag is set MIME headers for type text/plain are deleted from the content. If the content is not of type text/plain then an error is returned. RETURN VALUES
CMS_uncompress() returns either 1 for success or 0 for failure. The error can be obtained from ERR_get_error(3) BUGS
The lack of single pass processing and the need to hold all data in memory as mentioned in CMS_verify() also applies to CMS_decompress(). SEE ALSO
ERR_get_error(3), CMS_compress(3) HISTORY
CMS_uncompress() was added to OpenSSL 0.9.8 1.0.0e 2008-04-11 CMS_uncompress(3SSL)