Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable problem in for loop with if statement Post 302206191 by ejdv on Tuesday 17th of June 2008 07:33:17 AM
Old 06-17-2008
Hi,

# date
Tue Jun 17 11:31:11 GMT 2008

Expected output:

Variable Apr has value:
Variable May has value:
Variable Jun has value: Jun17

The checked item has no value.
The checked item has no value.
The checked item has value Jun17

I do not understand good why $APR and $MAY do not show up has being empty strings.

ejdv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in a while loop

#!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter while read n do echo $n >> datafile done question: How can I enject an if statement that if the users enter 0 (zero) the program will exit? this is what I have but not working #!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter number while read n do if $n=0 then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable expension using for loop.

Hi, I have a problem with expending variables when used in a for loop: #!/bin/ksh VAR1=aaa VAR2=bbb VAR3=ccc for ITEM in VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 do echo "${ITEM}" done This gives: VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with for loop and a variable with spaces...Hi

Hi there, I don't understand the following behavior: toto:~$ for word in un "deux trois"; do echo $word; done un deux trois toto:~$ sentence='un "deux trois"' toto:~$ for word in $sentence; do echo $word; done un "deux trois" toto:~$ sentence="un 'deux trois'" toto:~$ for word in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem assigning cmd output to variable then using in IF statement

Hi, I'm using the bourn shell on a Sun Solaris Unix system. I am relatively new to UNIX scripting so please bear with me... I'm having a couple issues: 1) I need to have a variable $FSIZE set with the output of a command each time the script runs. (the command looks for a file and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop within if statement

Hi, I'm a rookie who is trying to learn this stuff. What I need help with is putting together a non complicated "while" loop within the below "if" statement. I also need the while loop to keep looping until the user types a key to end the loop. Please reveal the proper insertion points. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: problem for loop through variable

Hi, input: AAA|1 my script (the function is just an example): gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"} function repeat(str, n, rep, i){ for(i=1; i<=n; i++) rep=rep str return rep } { variable_1=repeat($1,$2) variable_2=repeat($1,$2+1) variable_3=repeat($1,$2+3) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)