Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run a script on logout by a non-root user Post 302205709 by harsha10 on Monday 16th of June 2008 06:20:18 AM
Old 06-16-2008
Thats true , but what i need is ,

to write the 'trap rm' command (as mentioned in your reply ), in the file which is accessible by a normal user .

I need to insert this command through my program as a normal user.
(/etc/profile can be changed only by the root!!)

Is there any way out for this prob?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run a script at logout

hi all , Need to a run a program on user logout (using GNOME log screen). Tried using .bash_logout for this purpose but that doesnt seem to work. Similar to .bash_logout is there any script /program which a normal user (other than root ) can edit and run it on their logout? can anybody... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha10
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How a normal user run a script including root privileaged commands

Dear all Ihave written a script in Hpux9.0, the ecript is working fine if I run it from root command prompt But when I am running it thru /etc/profile or /user/.profile and login as a normal user, the owner of the process running the script is the normal user & hence cant run a root privileaged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: initin
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script on logout ?

Hi Everybody, I want to run my own script on logout , i can use .bash_logout file... problem is this will work only for that particular user... i want to know the common file... so that script wil run for all the user... 2. How to run script on Shutdown ? Thanks in advance Anitha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anisn2002
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script automatically on reboot as root user?

Hi friends,,, I am running one server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, some times my pc restarts automatically, with no reason, I have a script to start server which requires root password. in this directory /myserver/start_server.sh How can I do this ? and some scripts I am having that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
1 Replies
profiles.old(1) 					    BSD General Commands Manual 					   profiles.old(1)

NAME
profiles -- Profiles Tool SYNOPSIS
profiles [[-I | -R | -i] [-F file_path_to_profile | -]] [[-L] [-U username]] [[-r] [-p profile_id] [-u uuid] [-o output_file_path] [-Y shortname]] [-PHDdCchfvxVzYeN] DESCRIPTION
profiles allows you to install, remove or list configuration profiles, or to install provisioning profiles. Some commands may only work with elevated privileges, or for the current user. -I Install a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -i Install a provisioning profile from a profile file. -V Verify a provisioning profile from a profile file. -R Remove a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -r Remove a provisioning profile given a identifier and uuid. -L List configuration profile information for a particular user, or the current user if no Username was specified. -F Specify the file path to the profile file. Use '-' as the file path to input the configuration profile (not provisioning profile) XML plist via stdin. -U Specify the short username. If installing or removing a profile as root (or sudo), the designated user must be logged in. -H Returns whether configuration profiles are installed. -P List configuration profile information for everyone. -C List configuration profile information for the computer. -c List provisioning profile information. -p A profile identifier used to locate the configuration or provisioning profile. -u A uuid identifier used to locate the provisioning profile. The uuid must be in its canonical 36 character form. -z The profile removal password. If not specified and the profile requires a removal password, you will be prompted. -o The output file path for profile information (-L, -P, -C, -c) as a plist file. The path argument must be specified to use this option, Use 'stdout' to send this informaton to the console. File output will be written as an XML plist file, or you can use 'stdout-xml' to write XML to the console. The toplevel key will contain the user name, or _computerLevel for device or provisioning profile information. -h Displays help information. -v Enables verbose mode. A 'pass' or 'fail' indicator may also be displayed based on the command return status to stdout. -x Displays tool version number. The version is in the format x.yy, where x will change if new or incompatible commands are added. The version initially starts at 2.00 -f Automatically confirm any questions, or when used with -s, will retry startup profiles at each startup until successfully installed. -s Sets profile for startup. (Requires root privileges) -S Sync up and remove any configuration profiles that aren't assigned to any current local user. (Requires root privileges) -Y Specify the shortname of a local user that will be enrolled with MDM if the configuration profile being installed contains a MDM payload. Will only be used if the profile is being installed as root. -W Attempt to renew the certificates in an installed profile. -e Print the Device Enrollment configuration, if any, for the computer. Can be combined with the -o option to write output to a plist. -N Re-enable the user notifications for DEP enrollment. EXAMPLES
profiles -I -F /testfile.configprofile Installs the profile file 'testfile.mobileconfig' into current user. profiles -R -F /profiles/testfile2.configprofile Removes the profile file '/profiles/testfile2.mobileconfig' into the current user. profiles -H Returns whether or not configuration profiles are installed on the system. profiles -P Displays information on all installed configuration profiles on the system. profiles -L Displays information for installed profiles for the current user. profiles -L -o /outputfile Displays information for installed profiles for the current user and sends the output as a dictionary to /outputfile.plist. profiles -Lv Displays extended information for installed configuration profiles for the current user. profiles -R -p com.example.profile1 -z pass Removes any installed profiles with the identifier com.example.profile1 in the current user and using a removal password of 'pass'. profiles -s -F /startupprofile.mobileconfig -f Sets up the profile as a startup profile to be triggered at the next system startup time. If the profile can't be installed, it will try again at next startup time. profiles -I -F - < /configprofile.mobileconfig Installs the configuration profile read in from stdin. The stdin data must be a fully formed XML plist containing the configura- tion profile information. CAVEATS
Certain configuration profiles may be marked as a device profile (system) using the PayloadScope key. However, the profiles tool will ignore the PayloadScope key and install the profile based on how the profile is installed; either a user profile if installed from a user, or a device profile if installed from root (or sudo). If you are installing a profile as root, you may use the -U parameter to install or remove the profile for that active user. Specific payload dictionary information is not available since it may contain sensitive information. Non-sensitive information can be viewed using the System Report. Because this command line tool was not designed to ask for missing information, some profiles may fail to install properly. The only recourse is to insert the missing information before installing the configuration profile. The System Preferences application's Profiles pane is designed to handle the querying of missing information. Configuration profiles installed to the wrong user domain (user vs system) may not behave in the way you expect since the information may not be useful to that particular domain. For example, adding a Mail payload to the system domain will not do anything since Mail payloads must have a user account. Additionally, since profiles are stored by the user shortname and only stored on the local client, care should be taken to not install a profile that could be used by a same named local user. The profiles tool should only be used from the /usr/bin folder since certain operations are privileged and may fail if moved. SEE ALSO
profiles(1) macOS May 26, 2017 macOS