Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rsh windows with linux
Operating Systems Linux rsh windows with linux Post 302205600 by armanox on Monday 16th of June 2008 12:30:33 AM
Old 06-16-2008
If you could please reword what you want so that we can better undertand the problem we can better help you. Are you trying to rsh into a windows xp box? or rsh from WinXP to a Linux box?

If you are trying to access Windows from Linux via rsh then I regret to inform you that windows does not have rsh support.

If you are trying ot access Linux from Windows via rsh then I regret to inform you that most distrobutions have rsh disabled by default. I would recommend installing OpenSSH on the Linux box and using PuTTY to access the Linux box via SSH from Windows.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux and Windows?

Hello, In our computer lab we are windows networking.We have installed windows 2000 server on our IBM server and created a domain. All the computers are installed with windows 2000 porfessional and are a part of the domain. i have a installed Red Hat linux 9.0 on one system. I want this Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

rsh from Redhat Linux AS 3.0 to hp-ux 11.11

Dear Friends, I am unable to do rsh from Redhat Linux AS 3.0 to HP-UX 11.11. It takes lot of time request times out. What could be the reason. regards Rajendra More (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendramore
0 Replies

3. Linux

how to install rsh in linux boxes

Hi All, Please help me how to install and configure rsh in Linux boxes and let me know where i get this software. Thanks in advance... Regards, Sridhar. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Rsh problem on redhat linux

Hi, I am trying to do rsh on to a redhat EL 5 machine. It repeatedly asks me for the password and die after sometime. One might think that I am giving the wrong password. But I can do 'ssh' on to that machine with the same password. Can someone tell me what I have been doing wrong? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

what is the best way to use Linux on windows

Hello all i need to install linux flavor ubunto or sentOs not GUI is needed the only problem is that in my home computer im using win2k ( don't ask my wife don't want to hear about Linux ) so i guess i stuck with installing some kind of virtual pc and install on top of it the Linux what do you... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
11 Replies

6. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc over an ssh tunnel Linux to Linux to Windows

I *think* what I want to do is not only possible but easy, but as a "dummy" :) I can't figure it out. Here's what I have: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) laptop that is not in my house, but has an Internet connection. Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) computer in my house that has unfettered access to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WesleyC
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh from unix to windows

hi, I am trying yo run a batch file (located on windows server) from unix (solaris). I use below command to do it, rsh WINPRD1 -l WINPRD1+username "..\\directiory\\batchfile.bat" But I guess some port/service need to be enabled as its giving me below error, WINPRD1 Connection refused (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-46dn] [-l username] [-p port] host [command] rsh [-46dn] [-p port] username@host [command] DESCRIPTION
rsh executes command on host. rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -4 Use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Use IPv6 addresses only. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l username By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option or the username@host format allow the remote name to be specified. -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). -p port Uses the given port instead of the one assigned to the service ``shell''. May be given either as symbolic name or as number. If no command is given, note that rlogin(1) is started, which may need a different daemon (rlogind(8) instead of rshd(8)) run- ning on the server; you want to pass the rshd(8) port number in that case. If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rcmd(1), rlogin(1), rcmd(3), hosts.equiv(5), rhosts(5), environ(7) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. BSD
March 9, 2005 BSD