Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk in ksh shell script - help Post 302204628 by Nic_writes on Thursday 12th of June 2008 06:45:01 AM
Old 06-12-2008
I got something like this , it seems to work...

shell_variable= `awk '$1 == shell {print $2 } shell="$1" ' test`
echo $shell_variable

Any other better way???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script ksh/awk/grep

How can I extract the 9th line of a text file. thanks vm.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoang
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with simple awk/ksh script

I need help finding out why this script wont run. The chmod is okay, but i get an error saying that I need '&&' on line 5. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefflox
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh shell script

I am using /usr/bin/ksh in AIX I am reading the values of $dbname, $dbatmpdir/dbdir.$$, and $scope from a different file All I have to do is check if $dbname exists in file $dbatmpdir/dbdir.$$ and $scope should have a value either 'TABLE' or 'SCHEMA'. When I execute the following code. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this ksh shell script do?

Can someone tell me when the script is called, what does it do? I can't see it is going to run anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dp100022
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script 'ksh + awk over ssh'

Hi newbeeeee alarm i want to send a little script over ssh this script mus download a report.tar then rename and move. the report name format is report_<host.with.dot>-10-09-20-11:55:25.tar function remote_cmd_mv { _host=$1 ARCHROOTDIR='/tmp' ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TigerGoods
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop in awk script using ksh

Guys, I am new in awk , I face problem while i try to use for loop in awk, I am using ksh, i am trying to set a for loop which runs as man times as the records in a file , the for loop like for(a=1;a<=5;a++) is working in my awk script but the one i need is not working :wall: for example ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djahmed
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh shell script

Anyone know how to check a filename that contains a date and compare whiich file is older using a ksh shell script? The filename looks like aaaaa_20110615 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with KSH Shell Script

From a shell script I'm trying to remove the first two files of whats returned from the head -2 command so I tried piping it to xargs rm -f but I can't get it to work. How do I remove the files from the head command? ls -al *clit* *servr* |sort -t_ -nk2 | head -2 |xargs rm -f (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh Shell Script

My goal is to create a script that will check if in a test or production environment. I wrote this script to check $host variable to check which server I'm on but this script does not work. if then BASE=/home/fmtest; export BASE else BASE=/home/fmprod; export BASE fi ... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use case insensitive variable in ksh shell scripting using sed or awk

I am using a variable called $variable in a pattern search to print from a starting variable to a constant value. the variable search should be case in sensitive. i tired using Ip at the end in the below command. but in ksh it is not working. sed -n "/$variable/,/constant/p" file i also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjs
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)