Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error while opening files in a directory Post 302204587 by vinay123 on Thursday 12th of June 2008 04:40:19 AM
Old 06-12-2008
error while opening files in a directory

I tried opening the files in a directory and print thier names.
But it was thowing the error "unable to open directorty at t5.pl line 2."
Can u plz correct this error in below mentioned code.

#!/data/scoredev/perl
opendir(HOMEDIR,"c:\vin") || die("unable to open directorty");
@files=readdir(HOMEDIR);
closedir(HOMEDIR);

foreach $file (sort @files) {
print ("$file\n");
}

unable to open directorty at t5.pl line 2.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening Files

I'm a new to UNIX/LINUX. I just put cygwin on my laptop and I can navigate around the directories, but I can't open files (.doc, .ppt, .html or .exe). Is there an explicit command to do this? I know that in Solaris when it does not recognize the file, it brings up the list of available viewing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJA
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening non-html files in lynx??

when i try to open a txt file in lynx I need to provide the filename or use wildcards to open. Autocompletion doesn't work for some reason. Also, trying to open files like: .sh, .py etc. ends up in the following error: lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening Files in append mode

Is there any other way to open a file in append mode without using C calls or >> redirection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unusual error - moving files to another directory

Dear experts, Im having an unusual problem and its been giving me a bad headache. I have the script below #!/usr/bin/sh -x ticketinputdir=/IN_DATA1/tickets ticketoutputdir=/IN_DATA2 YDAY=`env TZ=A12B date '+%Y%m%d'` for i in INA INB INC IND INE do mkdir $ticketoutputdir/$i/$YDAY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

6. Web Development

opening text files with javascript

Im aware under IE, javascript uses ActiveX Objects to open up and manipulate text files, excel files etc.. How abouts would I open a text file using javascript in Firefox ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find files with ERROR's in log directory

Using a Single Unix Command how can i find all of the files ending in .log in the /output directory tree that have the string “ERROR:” in the file I tried these but was not successful: cd /output; ls *.log | grep "ERROR:" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Error opening script file - location error

Hello, I know nothing about UNIX, ftp, etc. I am building an excel VBA macro which calls a .bat file. I've taken a pre-existing batch file and am trying to modify it to fit my purposes. I would be very grateful for some assistance. Here is my .bat file: echo off set... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraftbud
9 Replies

9. Programming

help with opening files and reading them in C

In C, given a name or path to a file, how do I check if the path is valid, and how can I check its permisions will let me read from it, and how do i check if its an empty file? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

resize2fs open: Is a directory while opening /home

Can anyone explain this error to me? I am trying to use resize2fs to resize an ext4 partition. I did unmount the partition and I don't have any files opened or anything like that. Here is the full output. # resize2fs -p /home 3G resize2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010) open: Is a directory while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
opendir(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       opendir(3C)

NAME
opendir, fdopendir - open directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> DIR *opendir(const char *dirname); DIR *fdopendir(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The opendir() function opens a directory stream corresponding to the directory named by the dirname argument. The fdopendir() function opens a directory stream for the directory file descriptor fildes. The directory file descriptor should not be used or closed following a successful function call, as this might cause undefined results from future operations on the directory stream obtained from the call. Use closedir(3C) to close a directory stream. The directory stream is positioned at the first entry. If the type DIR is implemented using a file descriptor, applications will only be able to open up to a total of {OPEN_MAX} files and directories. A successful call to any of the exec functions will close any directory streams that are open in the calling process. See exec(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, opendir() and fdopendir() return a pointer to an object of type DIR. Otherwise, a null pointer is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The opendir() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for the component of the path prefix of dirname or read permission is denied for dirname. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the dirname argument exceeds {PATH_MAX}, or a path name component is longer than {NAME_MAX} while {_POSIX_NO_TRUNC} is in effect. ENOENT A component of dirname does not name an existing directory or dirname is an empty string. ENOTDIR A component of dirname is not a directory. The fdopendir() function will fail if: ENOTDIR The file descriptor fildes does not reference a directory. The opendir() function may fail if: EMFILE There are {OPEN_MAX} file descriptors currently open in the calling process. ENAMETOOLONG Pathname resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result whose length exceeds PATH_MAX. ENFILE Too many files are currently open on the system. USAGE
The opendir() and fdopendir() functions should be used in conjunction with readdir(3C), closedir(3C) and rewinddir(3C) to examine the con- tents of the directory (see the EXAMPLES section in readdir(3C)). This method is recommended for portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |opendir() is Standard; | | |fdopendir() is Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lstat(2), symlink(2), closedir(3C), readdir(3C), rewinddir(3C), scandir(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Jun 2007 opendir(3C)