Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read arguments to make command Post 302204571 by vikashtulsiyan on Thursday 12th of June 2008 03:36:21 AM
Old 06-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
GNU make has $(MAKECMDGOALS) but I don't think that's portable.

Why don't you write two different goals for update and updateq?
its because most of the code is same. Just a 2 messages on screen. if i write two goals that will mean duplicating the whole code minus those two statement.

I triesd.. $@ works but then i only need to check the first argument

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make new arguments for echo command

Hi everybody, i want to make an argument at echo command that takes a alpharithmetic and returns it reversed. How this can be done? plus what makefile changes are needed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panteras
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a list in bash out of arguments

Hello, I have a very stupid/simple problem, but for some reason I cannot figure out...and I need your help! I am writting a bash scrip that should be executed using "my_script X Y Z T" where X Y Z and T can be any string, but there can be any number of arguments. I want my script to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
4 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

I need to make a script that has 4 command line arguments to function properly.

I have no idea what the following means. The teacher is too advanced for me to understand fully. We literally went from running a few commands over the last few months to starting shell scripting. I am not a programmer, I am more hardware oriented. I wish I knew what this question was asking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wookard
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make 2 separate arguments in 1 bash script?

This is what I have: #!/bin/bash #ascript.sh WORD1=`tail -n +$1 /home/gscn/word1.txt | head -1` sed -e "s/WORD1/$WORD1/g" < /home/gscn/configtmp > /home/gscn/config WORD2=`tail -n +$1 /home/gscn/word2.txt | head -1` sed -e "s/WORD2/$WORD2/g" < /home/gscn/config2tmp >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make shell script arguments optional?

Here is my script: #!/bin/ksh usage () { echo " Usage: $0 <opt1> <opt2> <opt3> <opt4>" } if ; then usage exit; fi prog -a $1 -b $2 -c $3 -d $4 2>&1 | tee -a ~/$1.log I want argument 4 to be optional, so if there's no argument for opt4, that it doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to read command line arguments?

I am new to schell scripting . My objective is to write a ksh shell script that performs following tasks: - 1. Script reads all command line arguments (arguments are file names) and checks if it contains charachters "abc" in it. 2. If it contains "abc" it will execute a binary file xyz <command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: acmilan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the cut command read a column after logical statements are meet?

Hi, I want to write a code that will cut everything that is under a couple of columns in a text file but so far I am not even close to achieve something like that. Basically, I want to cut all the information from the columns and transfer the column information to a spread sheet. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pericopericone
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command - filename as arguments - make executable to all users.

Edit: Sorry. Mistakenly posted - please delete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddax
3 Replies

9. Programming

Make a file accept only two arguments from the command line

DELETED (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProgMan2015
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Make a file accept only two arguments from the command line

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1) The script is executed in the Korn shell. 2) Name the shell script file is asg6s. 3) The asg6s file is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProgMan2015
7 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)