Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple cp command giving problem..HELP !!! Post 302204057 by rajut1984 on Tuesday 10th of June 2008 12:22:25 PM
Old 06-10-2008
Hi ,

Use the below commands for copy ..

To copy a file

cp <source_file> <new_file_name>
----------------------------------------

To copy a complete directiory

cp -r <source_dir> <new_dir_name>

=============================

In your case

To copy the complete XYZ dirctory (including all files present under that dir)..

cp -r /home/username/Desktop/XYZ .

-----------------------------------

To copy a file

cp /home/username/Desktop/XYZ/<file_name> .

Note: -r means recursive copy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

^p not giving command line history.

I am used to using "set -o emacs" and then using "CNTL-P" for getting previous commands in solaris but on one host it does not work and instead just makes a DONG!! # ksh # set -o emacs # ls # ^p Can anyone offer guidance as to why this is? Thank you my friends. akbar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last Command not giving year

Hi All, i want the last login details along with year. i tried below command but not giving me the year of last login. last <$Userid> | head -1 i heard that if it is current year then it wont display the year else it will display the year. is it so? if yes then , is there any way of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani_rvce
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last Command not giving year

Hi All, i want the last login details along with year. i tried below command but not giving me the year of last login. last <$Userid> | head -1 i heard that if it is current year then it wont display the year else it will display the year. is it so? if yes then , is there any way of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani_rvce
1 Replies

4. Linux

acroread command giving error

Hi, When I run the command acroread it is giving error ERROR: Cannot find installation directory. When I look at /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/ an exicutable file named acroread is there. When i run ./acroread from that directory it is working . What can i do so that I can give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

uuencode for attachment giving problem

Hi All, I am using unix's sendmail utility to send mails with attacments. I am using the uuencode command for attachments (zip). When i send the mails to some account which is configured in the MS outook it opens/unzip the attachments with no problem. But the same attachments seems to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojram
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simulation of wc command giving problems

Hello, i am developing a simple shell script for simulation of wc command but it's not working.Please tell me what is the problem. I have commented the problematic line if then echo "<Improper Usage>" echo "wcassg <options> file" else eval file=\$$# if then chars=0 words=0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr command giving wrong output

Hi All, i have a file which have many fields delimited by ,(comma) now i have to show only few fields and not all. the sample text file looks like this: TYPE=SERVICEEVENT, TIMESTAMP=05/06/2009 11:01:40 PM, HOST=sppwa634, APPLICATION=ASComp, FUNCTION=LimitsService, SOU... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters giving problem

Hi All, I have a CSV file in which some fields contains special character for ex:- my file is file 1 cat file1 abcd,bgfht,ngbht,abvc **** hdlld,hsgdt,bhfy,knht **** whenever i am trying to put a 4th feild in a variable its giving me list of all the files i have in current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
6 Replies

9. AIX

Lsof command giving while loop

Hello, There is a process in AIX which is actually a oracle database user session but is running very slow When I use lsof it give below output lsof /proc/21955180 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 In while loop:256 Value of I :183 np:1024 Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies
virt-copy-out(1)					      Virtualization Support						  virt-copy-out(1)

NAME
virt-copy-out - Copy files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-copy-out -a disk.img /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir virt-copy-out -d domain /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir DESCRIPTION
"virt-copy-out" copies files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. You can give one of more filenames and directories on the command line. Directories are copied out recursively. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a virtual machine: mkdir homes virt-copy-out -d MyGuest /home homes JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "copy-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-copy-out(1)