Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash and languages
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash and languages Post 302203901 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 10th of June 2008 06:30:36 AM
Old 06-10-2008
bash provides support for localization of strings via message catalogs. A double-quoted string preceded by a dollar sign (‘$') will cause the string to be translated per the current locale.

man getcat for more information.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting languages

I am currently working as a configuration manager on a quite a large project. Our development environment is on NT, but from unit testing onwards it will be UNIX. I will need to write scripts to automate the process of migrating code from NT to UNIX, now since I am new to UNIX, I wasn't sure if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: headspin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Programming/Scripting Languages To Learn

Which languages would, in the long run, be best to learn on a UNIX environment for kernel work, every day programs, and overall UNIX programming? I've been learning C for over a year now (which I'm pretty confident with) and decided I want to look into some other languages. I'll mainly be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjinr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

output in different languages

hello, i have to change a lot of shell scripts for one reason : the output in a script should be done in different languages. for example: echo "this is a test" and "this is a test" should be printed out in language for an example: german,italian and so. i saw a tool "gettext" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Programming languages polyglots: how many languages you know?

Post what languages (including scripting) you know, why and where you think that language is most usable. Also include libraries in which you're really good at (libusb, gtk, qt, etc). assembly? C or C++? perl or python? pascal? bash or csh/tcsh? opengl? gtk or qt? mono? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: redoubtable
27 Replies

5. Web Development

What Web Development languages should i learn?

I am learning Web Development, so far i am learning html,xhtml, css, java script.... What I want to know is what other Web Development languages should i learn? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

How can I learn computer programming languages on my own?

I would love the idea to develop games. How can I teach myself computer programming? What programs or software must I use? I have the new iMac? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
5 Replies

7. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies
BINDTEXTDOMAIN(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 BINDTEXTDOMAIN(3)

NAME
bindtextdomain - set directory containing message catalogs SYNOPSIS
#include <libintl.h> char * bindtextdomain (const char * domainname, const char * dirname); DESCRIPTION
The bindtextdomain function sets the base directory of the hierarchy containing message catalogs for a given message domain. A message domain is a set of translatable msgid messages. Usually, every software package has its own message domain. The need for calling bindtextdomain arises because packages are not always installed with the same prefix as the <libintl.h> header and the libc/libintl libraries. Message catalogs will be expected at the pathnames dirname/locale/category/domainname.mo, where locale is a locale name and category is a locale facet such as LC_MESSAGES. domainname must be a non-empty string. If dirname is not NULL, the base directory for message catalogs belonging to domain domainname is set to dirname. The function makes copies of the argument strings as needed. If the program wishes to call the chdir function, it is important that dirname be an absolute pathname; otherwise it cannot be guaranteed that the message catalogs will be found. If dirname is NULL, the function returns the previously set base directory for domain domainname. RETURN VALUE
If successful, the bindtextdomain function returns the current base directory for domain domainname, after possibly changing it. The resulting string is valid until the next bindtextdomain call for the same domainname and must not be modified or freed. If a memory alloca- tion failure occurs, it sets errno to ENOMEM and returns NULL. ERRORS
The following error can occur, among others: ENOMEM Not enough memory available. BUGS
The return type ought to be const char *, but is char * to avoid warnings in C code predating ANSI C. SEE ALSO
gettext(3), dgettext(3), dcgettext(3), ngettext(3), dngettext(3), dcngettext(3), textdomain(3), realpath(3) GNU gettext 0.18.2 May 2001 BINDTEXTDOMAIN(3)