Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting global variable not being set Post 302203731 by robotball on Monday 9th of June 2008 05:19:17 PM
Old 06-09-2008
I tried EXPORT of the variable from the function, but this failed to work as well. Is there a way to call the function without the creation of the subshell? I could use the value passed back as an input to the function, however that seems like a bad work-around. Any ideas?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in awk...

i think..... it's possible use a variable out a awk in the awk ??? ex. A=20071225 awk '{ print "the value is" $a }' OR awk '{ print "........"; c=10; print $c ; c=$A ; print $A}' for a external variable is possbile use in the awk ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set global rm command

Hi, My team does not have root access however many a times my members logon to the unix server and fire the rm command mistakenly on wrong folder and later realise that they have made a mess. The rm -i option prompts for a confirmation before actually deleting the files/folders. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around Global Variable

Hi, I am using Linux and sh shell count=7 find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | ( while read d; do if ; then echo "FOUND COUNTER1 is: $count" break 2; fi done echo "FOUND COUNTER2 is: $count" ) if ; then echo "Problem: Multiple or NO records...Please CHECK !!" fi Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set Global variable outside while loop

Below is my code: count=0 if ... ... else ... find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | while read d; do count=1 if ; then echo "Count1:$count" ... ... break 2; fi ... done ... fi echo "Count2:$count" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
EXPORT(3PVM)															      EXPORT(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_export, pvm_unexport - Mark environment variables to export through spawn SYNOPSIS
C int cc = pvm_export( char *name ) int cc = pvm_unexport( char *name ) Fortran Not available PARAMETERS
name Name of an environment variable to add to or delete from export list. DESCRIPTION
The routines pvm_export and pvm_unexport are provided for convenience in editing environment variable PVM_EXPORT, while maintaining the colon-separated list syntax it requires. The variable can be modified by other means, and at the same time by the pvm_export functions. pvm_export checks to see if a name is already in PVM_EXPORT before including it, and exporting a name more than once is not considered an error. Likewise, pvm_unexport will not complain if you specify a name not in PVM_EXPORT. EXAMPLES
C: /* PVM_EXPORT=SHELL:HOME */ pvm_export("DISPLAY"); pvm_export("TERM"); pvm_unexport("HOME"); /* PVM_EXPORT=SHELL:DISPLAY:TERM */ ERRORS
No error conditions are currently returned by pvm_export and pvm_unexport. SEE ALSO
pvm(1PVM) pvm_spawn(3PVM) 15 May, 1996 EXPORT(3PVM)