Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arranging files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arranging files Post 302203305 by Vivek788 on Saturday 7th of June 2008 10:18:46 PM
Old 06-07-2008
Well i converted it to qw and made lots of modifications and ended up with 2 versions of working code(late at night).One using find and copy modules,other using directory handler.I

Quote:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use File::Find;
use File::Copy;
%ftypes=qw(perl pl bash sh sed ed awk aw sh sh); #Put extensions associated with each type in hash
find(\&call,"."); #Call subroutine when file found

sub call
{
$var=$File::Find::name ;
if(-f $var) #Read only files
{
open(fh,$var) or die "Couldn't open file";
$line=<fh>;
if($line=~/^\#!.*?(\w+)\s+/){$dir=$1;$ext=$ftypes{$dir};} #Identify type from she-bang and extract extension from hash
if($var=~/(\w+\.)\w*/){$new=$1.$ext;} #In case file already contains extension,extract filename
else{$new=$var.".".$ext;}
mkdir $dir unless( -e $dir); #Make directory by type name
$newfile="./".$dir."/".$new;
$newfile=substr($newfile,2);
rename "$var", "./"."$new"; #Add proper extension by renaming
copy("$new","$newfile") or die "$!"; #Copy to created directory
close(fh);
}
}
And

Quote:
#!/usr/bin/perl
%ftypes=qw(perl pl bash sh sed ed awk aw sh sh); #Put extensions associated with type in hash
opendir dirhndl,"." or die "Cannot open directory:$!";

while($file=readdir(dirhndl))
{
next if $file =~ /^\.\.?$/;
open fh,$file;
$line=<fh>;
if($line=~/^\#!.*?(\w+)\s+/){$dir=$1;$ext=$ftypes{$dir};}#Identify type from she-bang and extract it
if($file=~/(\w+\.)\w*/){$new=$1.$ext;} #In case file already contains extension,extract filename
else{$new=$file.".".$ext;}
mkdir $dir unless( -e $dir); #Make directory by type name
$newfile="./".$dir."/".$new;
$newfile=substr($newfile,2);
rename "$file", "$newfile"; #Add proper extension and move to folder
close(fh);
}
closedir(dirhndl);
If there are any suggestions or bugs,please do tell,it would really help as I am learning Perl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arranging data file

Dears, I have the below data, sss-aaaaaa 111211 222222 33333 22222 1163111 sss-vvvvvv 111311 224522 335633 24322 111511 sss-cccccc 111221 224522 333333 24322 111511 sss-dddddd 111211 222222 33333 22345222 113111 I want to make them like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re-arranging lines of text... help?

Hello, I am new to Linux, and I am learning slowly but for surely. I am trying to currently figure out how to go about re-arranging lines of text of a *.txt file... Like for example: Say pool.txt has 20 lines of text, and the last 5 lines of text I want to move to the top of the *.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorte85
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in arranging the alias

Hello Guys, I have around 100 hosts setup as alias in my profile for easy sshing. alias ada='ssh -Y username@da.domain.com' alias ast='ssh -Y username@terix.domain.com' alias bb1='ssh -X username@ggserver.ns.domain.com' . . . . I now would like to use sshmenu software in which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arranging columns with AWK

Hi there! Can this be done with AWK? Several text files (file1, file2, etc) with different number of lines. Need to append each file to a Reference File (ReFile), and match each line of file1, file2 etc to the closest value in ReFile. Empty cells must be filled with NA, or 0. The number of lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sramirez
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arranging data

I have thousand lines of data...: A 1 B 2 C 3 D 4 E 5 A 21 B 22 C 23 D 24 E 25 A 31 B 32 C 33 D 34 E 35 ........... ON AND AND ON (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arranging files in order of files_digits

Hi all, I have input files in some directory as: $ ls -ltr -rw-r--r-- 1 emily us_cms 101614219 Oct 8 15:47 vgtree_197_0_7pV.root -rw-r--r-- 1 emily us_cms 101348458 Oct 8 16:43 vgtree_518_0_LHB.root -rw-r--r-- 1 emily us_cms 101386298 Oct 8 16:50 vgtree_291_0_cWd.root -rw-r--r-- 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in arranging the output

Hello All, Please find attached input and output files. I want to write a shell script to achieve this. I tried using awk but not getting how to do this as I am new to shell programming. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudeep Bhattad
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arranging columns in a line

Hi, Please give a solution... Current File 200101701 A 5 B 283 D 222 200085506 A 5 B 6 C 304 200081406 A 5 200101784 D 1111Desired Output 200101701 A 0005 B 0283 * * D 222 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in arranging data

I have a file with user activity and need to display only the start and end timestamp of the activity. I don't know how can we write an logic for this please help me in a bettr way to work on it User Activity_log ----------------------------------- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazydev
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help arranging text

By using this code how can we get the stars in inverted positions? str="*" for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do echo "$str" str="$str *" done The output should be like this * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
5 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)