Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting global variable not being set Post 302203184 by Perderabo on Friday 6th of June 2008 09:24:15 PM
Old 06-06-2008
LOG2=$(f_open_log bigfile)

In order to process the above line, ksh must launch a sub-shell. The variable is changed in a global manner in that sub-shell, but then it exited.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in awk...

i think..... it's possible use a variable out a awk in the awk ??? ex. A=20071225 awk '{ print "the value is" $a }' OR awk '{ print "........"; c=10; print $c ; c=$A ; print $A}' for a external variable is possbile use in the awk ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set global rm command

Hi, My team does not have root access however many a times my members logon to the unix server and fire the rm command mistakenly on wrong folder and later realise that they have made a mess. The rm -i option prompts for a confirmation before actually deleting the files/folders. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around Global Variable

Hi, I am using Linux and sh shell count=7 find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | ( while read d; do if ; then echo "FOUND COUNTER1 is: $count" break 2; fi done echo "FOUND COUNTER2 is: $count" ) if ; then echo "Problem: Multiple or NO records...Please CHECK !!" fi Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set Global variable outside while loop

Below is my code: count=0 if ... ... else ... find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | while read d; do count=1 if ; then echo "Count1:$count" ... ... break 2; fi ... done ... fi echo "Count2:$count" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)