Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract x lines after a pattern - place each result in separate file Post 302203123 by gobi on Friday 6th of June 2008 02:25:42 PM
Old 06-06-2008
Franklin52,

Am I missing something because this does not work.

joeyg,

Thanks! I had something similar to this but yours is better. I was hoping to get some slick awk or sed command to do this. I just don't have the time right now to go though a tutorial.

gobi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate lines from text file

I have a text file with lot of rows like.. Action & Adventure|2012: Supernova NR|2009-11-01 00:01:00|2010-05-01 23:59:00|Active|3 Action & Adventure|50 Dead Men Walking|2010-01-05 00:01:00|2010-06-30 23:59:00|Active|3 Action & Adventure|Afterwards|2009-11-26 00:01:00|2010-03-26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract nth line of all files and print in output file on separate lines.

Hello UNIX experts, I have 124 text files in a directory. I want to extract the 45678th line of all the files sequentialy by file names. The extracted lines should be printed in the output file on seperate lines. e.g. The input Files are one.txt, two.txt, three.txt, four.txt The cat of four... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract DDL - output every match to separate file

Hi, i want to extract the 'CREATE INDEX' or 'CREATE UNIQUE INDEX' statements from a ddl file and output each match to a separate file. i was looking around the net but couldnīt find anything. a possible sed-script could be: sed -n '/CREATE*INDEX*/,/COMMIT/p' filename.ddlbut i couldnīt find out... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: CactusMoon
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a pattern from multiple lines in a file

I have a file that has some lines starts with * I want to get these lines, then get the word between "diac" and "lex". ex. file: ;;WORD AlAx *0.942490 diac:Al>ax lex:>ax_1 bw:Al/DET+>ax/NOUN+ gloss:brother pos:noun prc3:0 prc2:0 prc1:0 prc0:Al_det per:na asp:na vox:na mod:na gen:m num:s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines that match a pattern

Hi all, I got a file that contains the following content, Actually it is a part of the file content, Installing XYZ XYZA Image, API 18, revision 2 Unzipping XYZ XYZA Image, API 18, revision 2 (1%) Unzipping XYZ XYZA Image, API 18, revision 2 (96%) Unzipping XYZ XYZA Image, API 18,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kashyap
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ls to text file on separate lines

hi, I'm trying to print out the contents of a folder into a .txt file. The code I'm trying amongst variations is: ls -1 > filenames.txt but it prints them all on the same line ie. image102.bmpimage103.bmpimage104.bmpimage105.bmpimage106.bmp how can I change this? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie100
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract some characters from lines based on pattern

Hi All, i would like to get some help regarding extracting certain characters from a line grepped. blahblah{1:F01IRVTUS30XXXX0000000001}{2:I103IRVTDEF0XXXXN}{4:blah blahblah{1:F01IRVTUS30XXXX0000000001}{2:I103IRVTDEF0XXXXN}{4:blah... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
10 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)