Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a string in nth line Post 302202387 by maxmave on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 05:12:37 PM
Old 06-04-2008
Replacing a string in nth line

Hello All,

How to replace a string in nth line of a file using sed or awk.

For Ex: test.txt

Line 1 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3
Line 2 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4
Line 3 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST5
Line 4 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST6
Line 5 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST7

i want to go to 4th line of a file and replace the word TEST2 in that line with the word DEV2.

Note : this is not a homework. just need some ideas in SED or AWK

Thanks

Rahul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth occurrence in line and replacing it

Hi, I have several files with data that have to be imported to a database. These files contain records with separator characters. Some records are corrupt (2 separators are missing) and I need to correct them prior to importing them into the db. Example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to display nth line before the string is matched.

All, Is there any way out to display the nth line before the string is matched ??? Eg : If i have a file which has the following contents and if i want to get the 3rd line before the string is matched a b c d e f if i give the input as f and lines before the match as 3 then it should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with new line

Hi, Can anyone help me know how to replace a string with the new line for ex: file1 val1 or val2 or val3 or I need to replace the "or" with new line. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting and tried to search this in the forum but no luck. Requirment: I have an input file which is comma separated. I need to replace the value in 4th column with another value. This has to happen for all the lines in the file. Sample data: Input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarsd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Command to Get Nth Line in a String?

hi i need to get the 3rd line in a string. actually, not sure if it's a string, list, array, or something else. I'm using grep to retrieve all the numbers in a string-- in the console, it displays as multiple lines: $ echo "Sink 0: reference = 0: 153% 1: 45%, real = 0: 62%" | grep -o * 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnywhy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete after nth occurence of string in each line

Hello, Environment: I am under Ubuntu 18.04 bionic. I have an sql file consisting of 10K lines. Objective: What I am trying to attain is to remove everything coming after 2nd tab in each line. While searching for the answer, I found two answers and both gave expected result just for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplUserNContributed PePerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines - Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead of literal line breaks in strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Strings with embedded line breaks are hard to read. Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead. my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Bad my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Better, but still hard to read my $foo = "Line one is quite long " . "Line two"; # Better still my $foo = <<'EOF'; # Use heredoc for longer passages Line one is quite long Line two Line three breaks the camel's back EOF CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3)