Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete the last modified file Post 302202360 by kingofprussia on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 03:25:51 PM
Old 06-04-2008
Delete the last modified file

Hi All,

I have the following script to delete the last modified file in a directory.

#!/bin/ksh

if file in $(ls -t /home/KOP/Purge | head -1)
then
rm -f $file
fi

But I keep getting the error

0653-901 Cannot get file status

Any suggestions or comments as to where I'm getting this wrong.

Thanks
KOP.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File last modified

I cannot read the last moment the file was modified - it returns "Most recent access" instead: code: </td> <th><?FILE *fatr=fopen(iindname.c_str(), "r"); if(fatr){ struct stat statbuf; fstat(fileno(fatr), &statbuf); fclose(fatr); ?> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

who modified my file!!

Hi EVERYONE!!... Just a simple (yet critical from my perspective) doubt... I would like to know who had edited my file.. when I use ls -l command, I see my ID.. but when I edit using some other ID, I had expected that ID to be shown.. but still ls -l shows my ID only.. So, is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last modified file in 2 or more directories

Hi, Is there any simple way to get the last modified file in a set of 2 or more directories? This should return one file only (not 1 file per directory) Thanks for your help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m69w
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How many days since a file was modified?

I am trying to write a script to backup my laptop to a NAS drive using rsync. I want the backup to be done, only if it has been more than a week since my last backup. Each time the rsync command executes, I also create a file backuptime.txt file, with the time at which the script completed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandjayaraman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files except last modified

Hello All, I need to delete all the files with a particular naming format at a fixed path except the latest 1. Please help. example: At path /tmp, I have 3 files viz: log1, log2 and log3. file log2 was the one that was modified most recently. So I need to find and delete log1 and log3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a file when the inode modified time of the other file changes

i have a requirement where i needed to change variable values in a properties file(first file) whenever there is change to Release details file(second file). My question is do i have to create a daemon process that always checks the modified time/inode change of the second file and then change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)