Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replace the n'th occurance in a file Post 302202177 by subin_bala on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 09:22:10 AM
Old 06-04-2008
replace the n'th occurance in a file

Hi All,

How can i replace the n'th occurance in a file. ?
I have a property file like

EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;1;valeur
EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;2;valeur2
EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;3;valeur2

i need to replace the <context-root> tag value in the application.xml file with new value valeur,valeur2 etc
1 means update the first occurance with valeur,
2 means second occurance with valeur2
3 for third occurance ...

How can i do this using sed or any other command ??

Thanks in advance

Subin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert values in 1st occurance out of two occurance in a file

Hi I have a file which contains the following two lines which are same But I would like to insert the value=8.8.8.8 in the 1st occurance line and value=9.9.9.9 in the 2nd occurance line. <parameter name="TestIp1" value=""> <parameter name="TestIp1" value=""> Please suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace first 5 occurance of a pattern

There is scenario that i have to replace a pattern at the first 5 occurance in a file. say i need to replace 'abc' by 'xyz' at its first 5 occurance in a file a.txt, can anybody help me how it can be done, i can do complete replacement of the pattern using sed throughtout the file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace the last occurance of a match in a file

HI please let me know if there is any command to search and replace only the last occurence of a string in aline. Eg: " This cat is a cat with a tail longer of all cat." I need to replace only the last "cat" in the above line. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harikris614
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace second occurance

#original file . . ~ ~ Index=2 xxx replace #dont replace 1st occurance yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=3 xxx replace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace only the first occurance

Hi, I need to search a string and replace with nothing, but only the First occurring string using sed/perl/awk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.sheikh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace/delete odd occurance

how to delete/replace the the odd occurance of a pattern say newline character "\n" a,b,c,d e,f g, h, i, j, k, l m,n 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 the output should be a,b,c,de,f g, h, i, j, k, lm,n 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace every second occurance of a string

I want to replace every 2nd occurance of a string/character from a line. ababacbsbddbsbbcbdbssb i want to replace every s2nd b with @ like below should be like aba@acbs@ddbs@bc@dbss@ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

8. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3rd occurance of SPACE with newline

I have file with SQL output as 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Expected output : 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Let me know if this can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace the last occurance of match in a file

Hi I want to replace only the last occurance of "union all" in input file with ";" I tried with sed 's/union all/;/g' in my input file, it replaced in all lines of input file Eg: select column1,column2 from test1 group by 2 union all select column1,column2 from test2 group by 2 union all ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: antosr7
9 Replies
STAG-PARSE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    STAG-PARSE(1p)

NAME
stag-parse - parses a file and fires events (e.g. sxpr to xml) SYNOPSIS
# convert XML to IText stag-parse -p xml -w itext file1.xml file2.xml # use a custom parser/generator and a custom writer/generator stag-parse -p MyMod::MyParser -w MyMod::MyWriter file.txt DESCRIPTION
script wrapper for the Data::Stag modules feeds in files into a parser object that generates nestarray events, and feeds the events into a handler/writer class ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module this is the class that parsers the input file(s) and generates stag events xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module this is the class that catches the events thrown by the parser; it can be any class, but the class is typically a writer xml assumed as default -o|out FILE the writer will use this file (defaults to STDOUT) -e|errf FILE file to store parse error handler output -errhandler FORMAT/MODULE FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module all parse error events go to this module -r|root NODE_NAME if this is specified, NODE_NAME becomes the root of the stag tree, and anything that was previously the root is placed below this. this happens automatically if more than one file is parsed (because there can only be one tree root) -color Works only if the output handler is able to provide ASCII-colors (currently supported for itext and xml) SEE ALSO
Data::Stag This script is a wrapper for the method Data::Stag->parse() perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-PARSE(1p)