Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How can I mount a ufs filesystem on a solaris 10 sparc onto a Linux server Post 302201995 by ilan on Tuesday 3rd of June 2008 06:34:01 PM
Old 06-03-2008
How can I mount a ufs filesystem on a solaris 10 sparc onto a Linux server

Hi there,

I am trying to mount a SAN volume (which is mapped to solaris sparc) partitioned with ufs filesystem onto a linux (intel processor 64bit) server.

*I have re-compiled the linux kernel t support ufs fstype with ro mount support.

filesystem on solaris:
/dev/dsk/c2t2300000B080442C0d3s2
2.0G 2.1M 1.9G 1% /ilantry

fdisk -l o/p for the corresponding lun when mapped to linux:
Disk /dev/sdc (Sun disk label): 64 heads, 128 sectors, 2622 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8192 * 512 bytes

Device Flag Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 0 32 131072 2 SunOS root
/dev/sdc2 u 32 64 131072 3 SunOS swap
/dev/sdc3 u 0 2622 10739712 5 Whole disk
/dev/sdc7 64 2622 10477568 4 SunOS usr

Disk /dev/sdc1 (Sun disk label): 64 heads, 128 sectors, 2622 cylinders

/dev/sdc1p1 0 32 131072 2 SunOS root
/dev/sdc1p2 u 32 64 131072 3 SunOS swap
/dev/sdc1p3 u 0 2622 10739712 5 Whole disk
/dev/sdc1p7 64 2622 10477568 4 SunOS usr

Disk /dev/sdc3 (Sun disk label): 64 heads, 128 sectors, 2622 cylinders

/dev/sdc3p1 0 32 131072 2 SunOS root
/dev/sdc3p2 u 32 64 131072 3 SunOS swap
/dev/sdc3p3 u 0 2622 10739712 5 Whole disk
/dev/sdc3p7 64 2622 10477568 4 SunOS usr
-------------------

while try to mount it....
[root@pillar33 ~]# mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=sun /dev/sdc7 /lun1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc7,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

[root@pillar33 ~]# dmesg | tail
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.1
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
ufs: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
ufs_read_super: bad magic number
[root@pillar33 ~]#

can somebody tell me how to get this working?

Thanks,
ilan

Last edited by ilan; 06-03-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added dmesg o/p

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

FreeBSD compatibility with Solaris UFS filesystem?

Hi, I'm new to BSD and would like to create a dual-boot between Solaris Express Community Edition and FreeBSD. I would just like to know if the Solaris UFS file system can be written to by BSD? I know that BSD uses UFS2, but I'm hoping that it is backwards compatible with UFS1 provided that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny SSH
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Can You Mount FAT32 iSCSI Target in Solaris 10 (sparc)?

I get "mount: I/O error" when trying to mount an existing FAT32 iSCSI target. I also tried formatting the iSCSI target with fdisk and got fdisk: "Error in ioctl DKIOCSMBOOT" Details -- According to the format command, the whole disk is allocated to slice 6 and /dev/rdsk shows this as:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctafret
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can You Mount FAT32 iSCSI Target in Solaris 10 (sparc)?

I get "mount: I/O error" when trying to mount an existing FAT32 iSCSI target. I also tried formatting the iSCSI target with fdisk and got fdisk: "Error in ioctl DKIOCSMBOOT" Details -- According to the format command, the whole disk is allocated to slice 6 and /dev/rdsk shows this as:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctafret
1 Replies

4. BSD

NetBSD, SPARC, UFS slices

I need to shrink a UFS slice with NetBSD on SPARC. seems the only way is backup+reformat. can someone please give me exact commands for that? presumably backup is file-by-file instead of sector-by-sector, but how to preserve permissions/dates/attributes.. ? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to mount ext4 filesystem (created from Ubuntu) in Solaris 11

Hello everyone, I am trying to mount an ext4 filesystem which I created from Ubuntu. But mount command fails saying: prakhar@Solaris:~$ sudo mount /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 /mnt Password: mount: /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 is not this fstype And I also tried this: prakhar@Solaris:~$ fstyp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prakhar Mishra
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Deep checking Solaris ufs filesystem

I'm prompted to start this thread following my attempt to help on this thread here (see my posts). I was proposing the OP deep checked a Solaris ufs filesystem using: # fsck -o full <filesystem node> however this option does not appear to be valid on Solaris 10. I've used... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mount Linux filesystem not defined in etc/fstab

Hello, is there a way to mount a filesystem which is not defined in the etc/fstab ? Could someone share me any code or command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxman
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)