Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH vs PERL Advantages & Disadvantages Post 302201618 by duderonomy on Monday 2nd of June 2008 05:49:46 PM
Old 06-02-2008
perhaps, if you are doing system programming or administration, then
bash (ksh93) has a more natural and native set of keywords and
semantics, as the underlying command line shell.

if one's task involves lots of data processing requiring complex
data structures, then perhaps Perl would be worth the extra
trouble^h^h^h^h^h^h^h richness.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux advantages?

Hello to help me with my studying of unix/linux outside of work I was thinking of installing Linux at home aswell as using Windows XP. Im pretty new to Linux and Unix, could someone tell me the possible benifits or even negatives of running Linux at home as an opperating system as opposed to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loaded Gun
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advantages of Groups

What are the advantages of putting users into groups? I understand that in a corporate environment, you should create a group for each department. ie: putting finance employees into a finance group. But are there any system advantages for doing that? How would it make it easier on the system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurtmc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

advantages of Perl ?

What is the advantages of Perl in Unix environnement. Is it for scripts ? Text manipulation ? Have you a Concrete exemple of perl utilisation. Thanks you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are some advantages of Unix?

What are some advantage's of Unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin2132
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Failsafe mode advantages and disadvantages

Hi Guys, Have you tried running Solaris 10 on Failsafe mode? What are their advantages and disadvantages? What would you recommend for a roll-back plan in case something happens after failsafe mode? I need to run on failsafe mode to be able to execute fsck. Appreciate your kind... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bocha
1 Replies
tee(1)								   User Commands							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - replicate the standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee [-ai] [file]... ksh93 tee [-ail] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee copies standard input to standard output, making a copy in zero or more files. tee does not buffer its output. The options determine if the specified files are overwritten or appended to. ksh93 The tee built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when tee is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/tee or /usr/bin/tee executable. tee copies standard input to standard output and to zero or more files. The options determine whether the specified files are overwritten or appended to. The tee utility does not buffer output. If a write to a file fails, tee continues to write to other files although it exits with a non-zero exit status. The number of file operands that can be specified is limited by the underlying operating system. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/tee The following options are supported by /usr/bin/tee: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. -i Ignores interrupts. ksh93 The following options are supported by the tee built-in command in ksh93: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. --append -i Ignores SIGINT signal. --ignore-interrupts -l Sets the standard output to be line buffered. --line-buffer OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an output file. Processing of at least 13 file operands are supported. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tee when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tee: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
/usr/bin/tee The following exit values are returned by /usr/bin/tee: 0 The standard input was successfully copied to all output files. >0 The number of files that could not be opened or whose status could not be obtained. ksh93 The following exit values are returned by tee in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tee +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cat(1), ksh93(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 tee(1)