Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: learning curve's too steep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers learning curve's too steep Post 302201264 by catch22 on Sunday 1st of June 2008 04:09:02 PM
Old 06-01-2008
learning curve's too steep

I tried PC-BSD a year or 2 ago, but the command-stuff wasn't clear to me, not knowing anything about UNIX.
I decided to go from scratch to learn more and installed FreeBSD7.
Now I find this is taking too much time (which I don't have; full time job + playing music + being over 50) to learn before I can actually use it.

Question is:
should I go with Desktop-BSD or PC-BSD if I want to have something ready to use AND still be able to learn bit by bit about FreeBSD AND change the whole thing to my liking (and is that possible to an extend that is satisfying enough)?

I read that about the only difference between PC- and DesktopBSD is the pbi versus ports/packages system.
Is there more I should take into consideration before choosing?
Should I give up and try something easier like Ubuntu or other Linux (which I don't know anything about either!)?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning curve to understand bash iteration

Hi Folks, I know on one side there is script and on another side there is smart script. I am able to achieve what I got but thought there has to be a code which doesn't require multiple lines. So if you guys can help me out than it will be awesome. Also I wrote in cshell but if can get both the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Plotting A Sine Curve Inside A Bash Shell...

Hi all... After mentioning the generation of a sinewave sweep generator in a previous thread in this forum this is the method I decided upon. It plots a sinewave inside an 80 x 24 terminal window. Although the original used bc (and the line is in the code but commented out) it is now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
GETPROGNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    GETPROGNAME(3)

NAME
getprogname, setprogname -- get or set the program name LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> const char * getprogname(void); void setprogname(const char *progname); DESCRIPTION
The getprogname() and setprogname() functions manipulate the name of the current program. They are used by error-reporting routines to pro- duce consistent output. The getprogname() function returns the name of the program. If the name has not been set yet, it will return NULL. The setprogname() function sets the name of the program to be the last component of the progname argument. Since a pointer to the given string is kept as the program name, it should not be modified for the rest of the program's lifetime. In FreeBSD, the name of the program is set by the start-up code that is run before main(); thus, running setprogname() is not necessary. Programs that desire maximum portability should still call it; on another operating system, these functions may be implemented in a portabil- ity library. Calling setprogname() allows the aforementioned library to learn the program name without modifications to the start-up code. SEE ALSO
err(3) HISTORY
These functions first appeared in NetBSD 1.6, and made their way into FreeBSD 4.4. BSD
May 1, 2001 BSD